2000 Nissan Maxima running hot

CORBY29569
  • 2000 NISSAN MAXIMA
The car started running hot and the hoses was real tight almost to bust so I changed the thermostat, now when it is parked running idile the fans comes on and keeps it at average temp, but when I drive it down the road it runs hot and I stop for a min and start driving down the road and the temp falls down to normal for five min then it runs hot again, and also the when we turn the heat on when the car is hot it blows cold air.
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 7:35 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi corby29569,

When engine is cold, check the coolant level in radiator. After replacment of thermostat, there is a possibility bleedng was not done resulting in air trapped in system.

If coolant level is low, top it up and start engine without the radiator cap. Turn heater to maximum heat. Top up when coolant level drops as air is being purged. When coolant stabilises, close radiator cap and retest.
Friday, September 17th, 2010 AT 9:57 AM