1998 Nissan Maxima Starter Problems

EMW
  • 1998 NISSAN MAXIMA
1998 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Automatic 154000 miles

I've had my Maxima for a year now and in the last 6 months I've had to replace the starter 4 times! The car will start fine once I get it back from repair but will eventually have problems starting again. Every time I've brought it back they say the starter needs to be replaced and that they aren't sure why this keeps happening. Just this last time the service tech told me it was possibly my amp doing the damage because it was sucking a lot of juice from my battery. Have you heard of this happening before? A friend of my father's said it could possibly be the negative battery cable that is not ground properly and this could be causing me all my starter problems. I don't want to have the amp removed if it's not going to solve any problems in the future.
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 3:22 PM

ZACKMAN
Your amp has nothing to do with your starter problem. But give us a little more detail as to your problem to help diagnose.
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 8:54 PM
EMW
When I first get my car back from service (with a new starter put in) it starts great. A quick turn of the key and the car is running. After a period of about a month or 2 the car will begin to have slow starts approximately 1 out of every 10 times I start it. When I say slow start I mean that there is a longer cranking period until the engine actually fires up. This 1 out of every 10 times will gradually increase until every time I start the car it seems like it just doens't want to start. Eventually it will come to the point that when I turn the key there is nothing at all. No clicking, no cranking. Nothing. It's like I didn't even turn the key to start the car. The stereo, windshield wipers, etc all work so I figured it had nothing to do with the battery. Also - I should mention that regardless if the car has a slow start or a perfectly normal start the car runs fine once it's fired up. No problems there.

I've had the starter replaced 4 times now (just had the 4th one put in about a week ago), the battery is about 6 months old and there are new spark plugs (put in at the same time as the newest starter so about a week old).

So this amp thing was brought to my attention just last time I picked up my car from service. It came up that maybe it's drawing too much juice from my battery which in turn doesn't put all it's power into the starter when I start the car. I have removed the amp connection to the battery but I don't want to get the amp removed and my speakers rewired back to normal if it's not going to solve anything.

Hopefully I gave a better diagnosis of my problem this time around.

Have any ideas?
Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 9:58 AM