1995 Nissan Maxima Stereo and clock not working

GREGAL
  • 1995 NISSAN MAXIMA
After trying to replace the power antenna kit im my car (and failing) the stereo and clock in the car no longer turn on when the car is started. I tried multiple different wiring connections when trying to install the power antenna. I thought that it might be a blown fuse but I checked all the fuses that I thought it might be and none were blown. Currently there is no power antenna in the car and the stereo and clock still do not turn on.
Monday, July 26th, 2010 AT 4:45 PM

Hi GregAl/ Welcome to the forum. A lot of Japanese radios have a 5 or 10 amp fuse plugged into the back of the radio. See if there is one there that is blown.

-2
Monday, July 26th, 2010 AT 5:10 PM
GREGAL
I checked the radio and was unable to find a fuse. I dont know if this matters but the current head unit for the stereo is an alpine that I installed a couple of years back.

Another thing of interest that I just noticed today is that my remote control keys ( that unlock or lock the car / trunk release) no longer work. Maybe that gives another hint to where the problem is.
+1
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 10:06 AM
Yup. I think you're going to find a blown fuse for the radio's memory circuit. It will be tied into a circuit that is always live such as your remote keyless entry system. Dome lights and horn are other common circuits. Look for two fuse boxes, one under the hood and one inside the car.

+2
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 4:16 PM
GREGAL
Thank you I finally found the fuse. It was the top right fuse (7.5 amps) in the fuse box on the inside of the car by the drivers seat.

A follow up question is about correctly installing the power antenna. I think I did this incorrectly initially which caused me to blow the fuse. There are 3 wires that come from the car that need to be connected: a black one, a pink one, and a black one with a red strip. I know that one goes to the battery, one goes to the radio and I believe one is a sort of ground. If I knew which one is which I could install the antenna. So if you could offer any insight into this that would be great.
+2
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 6:54 PM
If this is an original equipment power antenna, the electrical connector should match what's on the car. If you're adding an aftermarket antenna, there should be instructions with it that list the wire functions. There's usually a relay involved, but if your antenna only has three wires, it might be built into it.

You can try running the antenna directly off the battery with some fused jumper wires to see what works. This is just an educated guess, but my first thought would be black is for ground, black / red is for positive, and the pink wire on positive will make the mast go up and removing the pink will make it go down. If that works, your radio will have a switched wire that becomes live when the radio and the ignition switch are both turned on. That would connect to the pink wire for the control circuit. Many aftermarket radios use a blue wire for switched power for antennas and amplifiers. They are usually labeled too.

Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 AT 1:35 PM
JOZIAHBOWEN
Im having the same probably the radio turns on but there is no sound and the clock doesnt turn on at all is there any way to fix and if there iswhat are the exact steps
+1
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 2:10 AM
Check the fuses. That's what GregAl found and mentioned previously.
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 3:10 AM
JOZIAHBOWEN
Thnak you I am going to do that rightnow
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 7:19 PM
JOZIAHBOWEN
I hecked and still tesame problem the fuse was messed up but the radio display but there is no sound coming from the speaker and the clock still doesnt turn on
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 8:04 PM
What does "messed up" mean?
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 8:05 PM
JOZIAHBOWEN
The fuse was burnt out but I changed it and still no sound from the speakers and the clock still is not working
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 8:37 PM
Did the new fuse blow? If all the fuses are good in the car and under the hood, pull the radio out and check for voltage on two pins in the connector. One should have 12 volts all the time and one should have 12 volts only when the ignition switch is turned on.
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 8:47 PM
JOZIAHBOWEN
Ok I just did thatand still no sound all you hear is the antennaa motor humming this problem is driving me crazy
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 8:57 PM
Then there's a problem in the radio.
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 9:08 PM
JOZIAHBOWEN
The new fuse didnot blow everything works except the radio and the clock the radio turns on but no sound and the antenna is broken of and the motor keeps humming but no sounds out of the speakers not even a muffled sound
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 9:09 PM
JOZIAHBOWEN
Ok thanks even if the antennas broken its still the radio
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 9:31 PM
Antenna doesn't affect the clock.
+1
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 9:51 PM
JOZIAHBOWEN
I dont no then
+1
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 11:02 PM