STEREO AND CLOCK NOT WORKING

1995 Nissan Maxima

GregAl

July, 26, 2010 AT 4:45 PM

1995 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 215000 miles

After trying to replace the power antenna kit im my car (and failing) the stereo and clock in the car no longer turn on when the car is started. I tried multiple different wiring connections when trying to install the power antenna. I thought that it might be a blown fuse but I checked all the fuses that I thought it might be and none were blown. Currently there is no power antenna in the car and the stereo and clock still do not turn on.

caradiodoc

July, 26, 2010 AT 5:10 PM

Hi GregAl/ Welcome to the forum. A lot of Japanese radios have a 5 or 10 amp fuse plugged into the back of the radio. See if there is one there that is blown.

GregAl

July, 27, 2010 AT 10:06 AM

I checked the radio and was unable to find a fuse. I dont know if this matters but the current head unit for the stereo is an alpine that I installed a couple of years back.

Another thing of interest that I just noticed today is that my remote control keys ( that unlock or lock the car / trunk release) no longer work. Maybe that gives another hint to where the problem is.

caradiodoc

July, 27, 2010 AT 4:16 PM

Yup. I think you're going to find a blown fuse for the radio's memory circuit. It will be tied into a circuit that is always live such as your remote keyless entry system. Dome lights and horn are other common circuits. Look for two fuse boxes, one under the hood and one inside the car.

GregAl

July, 27, 2010 AT 6:54 PM

Thank you I finally found the fuse. It was the top right fuse (7.5 amps) in the fuse box on the inside of the car by the drivers seat.

A follow up question is about correctly installing the power antenna. I think I did this incorrectly initially which caused me to blow the fuse. There are 3 wires that come from the car that need to be connected: a black one, a pink one, and a black one with a red strip. I know that one goes to the battery, one goes to the radio and I believe one is a sort of ground. If I knew which one is which I could install the antenna. So if you could offer any insight into this that would be great.

caradiodoc

July, 28, 2010 AT 1:35 PM

If this is an original equipment power antenna, the electrical connector should match what's on the car. If you're adding an aftermarket antenna, there should be instructions with it that list the wire functions. There's usually a relay involved, but if your antenna only has three wires, it might be built into it.

You can try running the antenna directly off the battery with some fused jumper wires to see what works. This is just an educated guess, but my first thought would be black is for ground, black / red is for positive, and the pink wire on positive will make the mast go up and removing the pink will make it go down. If that works, your radio will have a switched wire that becomes live when the radio and the ignition switch are both turned on. That would connect to the pink wire for the control circuit. Many aftermarket radios use a blue wire for switched power for antennas and amplifiers. They are usually labeled too.

joziahbowen

April, 21, 2011 AT 2:10 AM

Im having the same probably the radio turns on but there is no sound and the clock doesnt turn on at all is there any way to fix and if there iswhat are the exact steps

caradiodoc

April, 21, 2011 AT 3:10 AM

Check the fuses. That's what GregAl found and mentioned previously.

joziahbowen

April, 21, 2011 AT 7:19 PM

Thnak you I am going to do that rightnow

joziahbowen

April, 21, 2011 AT 8:04 PM

I hecked and still tesame problem the fuse was messed up but the radio display but there is no sound coming from the speaker and the clock still doesnt turn on

caradiodoc

April, 21, 2011 AT 8:05 PM

What does "messed up" mean?

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro