Power door locks not working

JPBALLA
  • 1992 NISSAN MAXIMA

Electrical problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I bought my Maxima recently and the power locks were out when I purchased it. So I took it to a car audio and alarm shop and they checked it out, but the only thing they checked was the driver side master switch and the fuses and I already knew that wasn't the problem. Also when I push the power lock switch there's a clicking noise coming from underneath the steering wheel, it some sort of relay that says " power door lock timer" it is a little black box. But I went to a junk yard to replace the power door lock timer and it did the same clicking sound. Also my car has a keypad right below the outside handle on the driver and passenger side that has a code to lock and unlock your car without the key, so I don't know if maybe that has something to do with it because it doesn't work either. If anyone has an idea I would appreciate any type of feedback. I've heard anywhere from the door lock motor to a relay or even some sort of fuse.

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 9:20 PM

KHLOW2008

Hi jpballa,

The timer is controlled by the door lock control unit which is a separate unit. I believe it is located in the door panel or master switch. Check the driver door wires and connectors at the door pillar.

+1
Sunday, June 29th, 2008 AT 1:41 AM
BLUETII

I m having the same problem. We had to change the ignition switch it came with new key. Does that have something to do with it. Also master switch works just wont lock from the master. Everything else works like windows.

Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 11:27 AM
BLUETII

My boy just bought a 92 Maxima wih 50k miles all original. GXE auto. He has some weird gremlins with the alarm. Sometimes it will be going off and he cannot get it to go off and start the car. We thought it was because he didn't have the original remotes. We bought this: 2101L Avital 1-Way Vehicle Keyless Entry System but still its not working. Only the trunk works. The installer said you need a lock timer. So I bought 7 of these 1990-1996 Nissan 300zx door lock timer module 28451 F9901. The installer tried all 7 and none of them helped. Has anyone had this problem. I don't even know what to call it other than lock issue. The main lock switch also doesn't work manually. We doing care about the inside locks. Just to get a remote keyless entry to work would be great. The car has low mileage and would like to keep I around as long as possible. Thanks any help is much appreciated. Cannot open door locks. Plus have to manually lock all doors. Trunk is only item that works 100%. Locking and unlocking the doors with the supplied avital emotes sometimes works but that's like 1% of the time.

Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 11:27 AM
2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the main switch is bad but to be sure here is a wiring diagram (below) of the system, it looks pretty straight forward.

Here are a couple of guide to show you how to do some testing

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 11:37 AM
ALI97NM
  • 1997 NISSAN MAXIMA

Hello, my car's central locking not working. The remote of my car was working, but suddenly had stopped. So I am asking if there any fuse related to the remote or any relay?

Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 2:59 PM (Merged)

Check battery in remote and go to auto parts to see if remote works. They can test it. Otherwise it will need to be scanned for codes

2CARPROS RENEE
  • 672 POSTS

Hi ALI97NM,

If you decide you would like to conduct the scan yourself here is a link to an article that features written step by step instructions and pictures explaining how to do the scan yourself, also I have included a link to our YouTube channel with a how to video on code scanning. Most scanners are inexpensive to purchase, you can purchase one online from sites like Amazon.com

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

Once you have the codes please get back to us so that we can further assist you. We are always happy to help.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.com.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin

DVWOODII
  • 1997 NISSAN MAXIMA

The windows and door locks do not work on all doors and windows the sunroof and the automatic seat still work the fuses have been checked and are all okay please help point me in the right direction.

Have this scanned for codes it may be body module problem. Also check circuit breaker 2 under hood fuse box as it may not be going through that or kicking out due to a short. If you have an assistant work the window button and you hear or feel breaker kick out you have a short in system someplace.

2CARPROS RENEE
  • 672 POSTS

Hi Dvwoodii,

Here is a link to an article that features written step by step instructions and pictures explaining how to do the scan yourself, also I have included a link to our YouTube channel with a how to video on code scanning. Most scanners are inexpensive to purchase, you can purchase one online from sites like Amazon.com. Once you have the codes please get back to us so that we can further assist you. We are always happy to help.

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.com.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin

STEVEYEN1
  • 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA

I just got a Nissan Maxima 2004 3.5 SE from a previous owner. I noticed the following problems with the central locking system.

1. The key only locks/unlocks 3 of the doors by inserting it through the driver side door. The front passenger door remains unlocked in any case and can only be opened from inside using the inside door knob. The outside door knob cannot open the door.

2. The key fob cannot operate the central locking system remotely even after battery replacement. Though the red security light keep blinking every 30 secs as it should be.

Pls what could be the problem?/?

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

The electric lock and handle are probably broken on the passenger door and the circuit board in the fob is either dirty or bad. Use an alcohol soaked qtip to clean the contacts

BIG LOU
  • 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA

2004 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75,000 miles

hello! I have a after market car alarm that I can't figure out what's is the problem with the door locks when I open and close the door manually or with that the remote the door lock front left side and rear right side door lock don't work I have to close the car doors with the key I replace the brain of the alarm and still the same problem.
I took it to the dealer and the rep. told me the car doesn't have actuators on this 2004 Nissan maxima.
Can you please help me.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/208723_100706_15202_2.jpg

KHLOW2008

Hi big lou,

I have trouble reading and understanding your question.

Is the car equipped with central locking system? Is there a locking and unlocking switch on the door panel? If yes, it has actuators and you have wired it wrongly.

SNEVANS25
  • 1995 NISSAN MAXIMA

1995 Nissan Maxima Automatic 130000 miles

The power locks, power windows, radio, and the lights in the visors stopped working before replacing the alternator and battery. What else could it be?

RATICAL9128

Start with the interior fuses under the dash, then get a book and look for the fusible links

Related Door Lock Not Working Content

Recommended guides