1998 Nissan Frontier air conditioning cooling problem

DWPANIUSKI
  • 1998 NISSAN FRONTIER
Air Conditioning problem
1998 Nissan Frontier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 176K miles

The air conditioning works fine in the morning, blows cold air; clutch seems to cycle on-off fine. But then in the afternoon when it gets warmer outside, sitting in a parking lot, a/c seems to works fine in the first few minutes, clutch comes on but then after a few minutes, it sounds like the clutch is coming on but it doesn't and a/c blows warm air. If you rev the motor at a high RPM you can hear the clutch come on and a/c blows cold. When you let the truck come back to an idle, the clutch does not come on and a/c blows warm air. If you get on freeway, a/c will start blowing cold again and clutch seems to cycle on-off just fine. Could you please tell me what you think might be wrong?

Thanks,
Dave
Monday, May 25th, 2009 AT 11:35 AM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Think you have a faulty fan clutch and fan will not cool condensor enough and thermal sensor cuts out comp.
With engine at operating temp and off. Grab fan blade rotate feel resistence any side to side movemnet?
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Monday, May 25th, 2009 AT 1:47 PM
DWPANIUSKI
Thank you for your help to my previous question regarding the a/c problem. I replaced the faulty fan clutch but still having a problem. Do you think it might be the thermal sensor too? If so, where is it located? Is it located on the a/c compressor? Or could it be the low/high pressure sensor? Is it located on the dryer near the condensor? Again, thanks for your help. I appreciate your time.

Dave Paniuski
Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 1:05 PM
DOCFIXIT
Thermal switcg on compressor follow black wire to clutch to it. Switch cuts out at 280 deg. If not that dual pressure switch cuts out below 30 psi and out at 384 psi
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 10:42 AM
DWPANIUSKI
Thank you for your reply. I think I have figured the problem out. In the morning when it's cool the a/c clutch engages and disengages properly, but in the middle of the day after the truck has run for about twenty minutes when 12 volts is applied to the clutch to engage, the clutch does not engage and all I have to do is take a screwdriver and tap on the front of the clutchplate and clutch engages. I think I have a bad clutch. Is there anyway to to adjust the air gap on the clutch? I would appreciate you letting me know. Again, thank you for your time.

Dave Paniuski
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 9:28 AM
DOCFIXIT
Yes adjustment shims. Remove center nut and pull off drive plate. Use magnet to pull out shims gap should be.012 to.024 in.
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 1:12 PM
DWPANIUSKI
Thank you again for the information. Can you do this without removing the compressor from the vehicle? Are any special tools needed to remove the clutch disc? Could it be possible that the clutch disc and pulley are worn and need to be replaced due to the problem I'm having or do I just need to remove shims to lessen the gap? I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks,
Dave Paniuski
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 3:52 PM
DOCFIXIT
No need to remove compressor. Measure gap first if in spec. Then coils mangnetic field weak and needs replaced. Getting nut off maybe a little tricky cause it will turn on you. If have air tool easy otherwise hold on and unbolt. May need couple screw drivers to get off. Then inspect if badly grooved replace. If need to replace assembly remove snap ring and remove hub.
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 4:50 PM
DWPANIUSKI
Again thanks for your answer. Where can you buy clutch disc and pulley if needed, after market or do you have to get from nissan, if so do you have nissan part numbers.I can not find breakdown of clutch to get part numbers. How much do you think nissan would charge to do this, again thanks dave
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 5:44 PM
DOCFIXIT
Your compressor is a Zexel DKV-14C Rotary Vane clutch assembly # 92665-3S500 for $324.13.
Try after market most likely you can replace compressor for what clutch costs.
Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 8:05 AM