Engine overheating

ARMANDO48
  • 2006 NISSAN ALTIMA

Engine Cooling problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 113500 miles

My automobile recently started overheating when I travel at 60 to 70 mph. When this happens the air conditioner stops working. I had the freon checked and the cooling system has no leaks and has coolant. As long as the temp guage is normal the air conditioner works fine, the problem starts when I'm on the freeway at a high speeds.
What could be causing the problem?

Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 12:41 AM

2CARPROS KEN

When the computer sees the engine starting to get to hot it will turn off the air conditioner. This is most likely caused by a plugged radiator either internally or externally. Here are some guides that will help you see what the problem is so you can fix it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-radiator

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken

Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 AT 2:52 PM
ISARELY MARIE TORRES
  • 2006 NISSAN ALTIMA

My car started overheating after a fuel injector cleaning I have to keep on adding water to the car so it wont over heat

Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 AT 2:53 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9

So you have a coolant leak? Or you just loose coolant from it overheating and boiling over the radiator cap?

-1
RICKYSH11
  • 2006 NISSAN ALTIMA

After running the engine or driving for at least 30 minutes it runs hot. I've noticed one of the cooling fans runs at a medium speed and the other won't start unless I give it a spin with a hand and then it moves but really slow. I'm suspecting the thermostat but it seems the fans could be an issue as well. I replaced one of the three fuses that are for the fans and before replacing it only one fan worked. I'm not sure in this case what the cause may be

The fan you have to start by hand is bad for one thing, have coolant system pressure checked for coolant leaks and when hot check radiator for cold spots if you feel any cold spots rad is bad.

+2
RICKYSH11

Thanks, the fan was definitely the culprit. I've replaced it and now no more overheating.

SOLEP
  • 2006 NISSAN ALTIMA

MY CAR ABOUT A MONTH AGO STARTED TO OVERHEAT. FUNNY PART IS THE TEMP GOES UP AND COMES BACK DOWN. WE HAVE REPLACED BOTH THERMOSTART, WATER PUMP, AND MY STARTER.

THE CAR OVER HEATS WHEN IT WANTS TO AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME. WE HAVE DONE FLUSHES, OIL CHANGE, PRESSURE TEST AND ALL AND STILL THE SAME THING. THE SERVIE ENGINE SHOWS ME THE OH2. THERE IS NO LEAKS AT THE BOTTOM OF MY CAR, THE RADIATOR SEEMS TO HAVE COOLANT. THE ODD THING IS THAT I DID HAVE TO ADD ANTIFREEZE TO IT SINCE IT WOULD RUN LOW EVERY 3 TO 4 DAYS.

IS THE HEAD GASKET THE NEXT STEP?

-1
WRENCHTECH

The temp gauge is probably bouncing around because the cooling system is full of air pockets. Your first step is to fill and pressure test the cooling system to see if it holds pressure.

-1
NAVARROL8934
  • 2007 NISSAN ALTIMA

My car is overheating. I changed the thermostat and is still overheating. I'm thinking it might be the cooling fan. I'm not sure when the cooling fan is suppose to turn on but as I got off the freeway I pulled over to a gas station and saw that the fan was not on.

KHLOW2008

When does the overheating occurs and under any specific conditions?
Do you have coolant losses issues?

NAVARROL8934

It happens when I'm doing long drives on the freeway. When the car b is under more stress I guess. By coolant you mean water right? Sorry I'm not to experienced.

KHLOW2008

If overheating occurs only when driving at high speed, that means inefficient cooling and the most likely cause would be restricted radiator.

Yes, coolant is the fluid used in cooling systems. Did you check the radiator level?

NAVARROL8934

When I got home I took off the radiator cap and filled it up with water but it filled uo with just a few ounces.

KHLOW2008

Have the radiator checked for clogging.

GIRLYNISSAN07
  • 2007 NISSAN ALTIMA

Ok, I have brought my car to my mechanic twice for this issue, and they can't find a thing wrong. My thermostat fluctuates, sometimes going all the way to H. I turn the heat on, and it goes down. Last night it was doing it again, so we tried not turning the heat on, and the thermostat stayed up to H for a minute, then slowly went down on its own. What is wrong with this car?

ASEMASTER6371

Low coolant level, bad thermostat, clogged radiator or a blown head gasket. Since you have driven it overheated, I would have that checked first

NAVARROL8934

Okay will do. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you

GIRLYNISSAN07

Thank you for responding! I have had a pressure test, thermostat was tested, the whole car, and the fluid level is checked every morning, just to be sure. The whole car is fine, is there anything else, or is it a recall issue?

KHLOW2008

You're welcome.

Good luck.

ASEMASTER6371

No recall, everything is not fine. One of these items is creating your issue and you need to have someone track it down before you do serious damage to the motor from overheating.