2004 Nissan Altima Intermittent electrical problem - please

RCKNRBN
  • 2004 NISSAN ALTIMA
2004 Nissan Altima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I HATE intermittent problems and this one is no exception. We have a '04 Altima which just started an intermittent problem with the vehicle 'dying'. Wife states it would normally do it when either sitting at a traffic light or slowing for a stop. Doesn't normally do it when driving at a steady speed. Was assuming a fuel problem.

I've been test driving the car all day today, it is definately electrical in nature. Every once in awhile, when slowing or stopping, everything electrical just shuts down! Tachometer, gauges, AC blower motor, radio. Sometimes for just a couple of seconds. Once, it lasted about 10 seconds (engine dies after about 2-3 seconds of no electrical pwr). Twice, I tried restarting after having turned the ignition completely off. When I put the key in and turned it to 'on', it was dead. After leaving the key in the 'on' position about 20-30 seconds, everything powered up by itself. No recent repairs of any type.

Any input is appreciated!
Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 12:23 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
Yes intermittent problems are the worse.

Do some checks to test the ignition switch, I know the ones in the Maximas would go bad all the time.
Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 8:44 PM
RCKNRBN
Not sure how to go about checking the ignition switch. I've checked the wiring harness/connector going to it and all appears fine.

Someone else said it is possible a plate in the battery is going bad. If so, it would make sense that the problem only happens when you take your foot off the gas (thus the alternator isn't creating the same output voltage). Gonna have a load test done on battery. Still seeking ideas. Thanks
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 8:21 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Try to tell me everything that does
and doesn't work as best you can.

Then i'll start following along on a schematic to try to find the weak link
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 10:25 AM
SCOOBIE81
I have a 2003 Altima and it was doing exactly the same thing. Turns out there is a recall for this and they reset the computer! Good luck! I had mine done and it's still getting a "slight" surge every once in awhile but nothing like before when it would just die when you were not accelerating etc.
+1
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 8:32 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Oh, that would be worth looking into.

Call the service department of a Nissan dealer and give then your VIN.

They can tell you if you have any outstanding campaigns.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 9:34 AM
RCKNRBN
Ok guys, gotta give a quick update.

One theory I've been tossing around was that the car possibly had a plate in the battery going bad. I'm thinking that the alternator would provide slightly higher voltage while accelerating but voltage would drop slightly when foot off the gas. The electrical issue only occurs when either slowing or stopped and foot was off the accelerator.

It is about a 16 month old Carquest battery, took it to a Carquest store. They did a load test and, sure enough, it failed the test. No hassles with the exchange. Has been about 7 days and hasn't failed yet! Not to say that it won't but that is where we are at today.

Mark
Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 8:16 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Thanks for the update
Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 9:36 AM