2001 Nissan Altima intermited A/C problem

FIXSKY
  • 2001 NISSAN ALTIMA

Air Conditioning problem
2001 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60789 miles

my a/c will come on sometime will not, the air is getting cold when its on and go up to cycle stage when it reach the correct temp. Work fine, sometime when you turn off the car and sit for 30 min to 1 hour when you start back up and drive and turn on the a/c sometime it will not come on and I see the clutch engage for spit a second it trying to engage but it doesnt continue, I already replace the triple switch on the top of the dryer w/ 4 wires connector still the same make no defference and when I ground the red wire from the sensor it work but a/c always on even you off the a/c sw. What could be the problem? Can you give me the complete wiring diagram for air conditioning with the correct color coding and the location of ECM and the thermo control amp. Where they hide it. Thank"s fixsky

Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 4:46 PM

JAMES W.

Fixsky, from your description, it sounds like you're low on freon and it's short cycling.
If you have, or have access to a fax # I will fax you some diagrams. I can down load them to this site, but they don't come through very clearly. Please advise.

Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 5:17 PM
FIXSKY

Yes you can fax it to 954 747 4944
about the low on freon I think I put the right amount when I replace the triple sw located on the dryer. I check the info on the hood it say 24 oz, could it be the thermo control amp. I try to ground the red wire fron the sensor it a/c work but it did not cycle up it keep on running and it try to froze up.
Thanks fixky

Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 10:27 PM
JAMES W.

Fax is on the way

Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 11:40 PM
FIXSKY

I check my fax machine for the wiring diagram nothing there my be you dial the wrong number, can you fax it again if you got a chance my number is 954-747-4944 thank's. Fixsky

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 6:04 PM
JAMES W.

I just faxed it again to 1-954-747-4944. I didn't get an error report, so it must be going somewhere. Let me know

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 6:14 PM
FIXSKY

Thank's I got it but they came out very small print and some part are not clear its hard to read the prints

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 8:17 PM
JAMES W.

That happens, and they are worse if I try to add them to a post. I'll see if I can blow them up some. I'll get back to you.

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 8:38 PM
FIXSKY

Hi james
I was reading all question and anwser in the forum regarading my a/c probem, I find out that on sept. 25, 2008 ( dsdhornet) his code name, ask the same question as my problem! I was thinking counld it be the temp sensor on evaporator or the temp control amp causing this problem, I already replace the triple sw but it don't make defference
pls advise thank's fixsky

Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 4:34 PM
JAMES W.

It could be any one of the sensors or controls on your system. Do you have access to the test specs?

Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 12:34 AM
FIXSKY

Hi james
yeah, this could be one of the sensor but I don't have specs. For testing this thermo cntrl amp? And i'm a bit lost of this system coz when they call it thermo cntrl amp. This must be a module with printed broard, chips resistor ect. In the small box connected to the harness, and when I check it, its only three wire harness that go in to the a/c evap housing I don't know what on the end of this three wire . Like older nissan I see a small box stick on the side of the evap case call it thermo cntrl amp, and also this nissan altima was made MAY. 2001 may be we barcking the wrong and get the wrong info. Pls help thanks fixsky

Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 10:38 AM
JAMES W.

We have a lot of problems with import(Japanese) wiring diagrams not matching what is actually in the vehicle. Many times we just have to read between the lines. Usually, unless you have the diagnostic unit, there is very little the owner can do to isolate an electronic problem. You can use the"well that didn't fix it, let's try this" approach, but that can get expensive.

Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 11:56 AM
FIXSKY

Hi james,

now I would like to say that "case is close" to this repair thank's for the help, I just change the temp control amp for the a/c located in the evap housing and it fix the problem
thank's fixsky

Thursday, March 26th, 2009 AT 9:34 PM
JAMES W.

Glad you got it. Anything else, youi know where to find us.

Thursday, March 26th, 2009 AT 11:53 PM
YOYOMA

Hi Fixsky,
Looks like I have the same issue as you described and your solution seems to perfect fix for mine. I would like to get information on the following:
1. Where exactly is the Evap Housing Located on the Altima?
2. Where can I buy the Temp Control Amp? Please provide any part #, if you have it.
3. Does this fixing need any special tools?

Thanks in advance.
-Jay

Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 AT 9:56 AM
JAMES W.

The evaporator is under the dash in the same box as the heater core. No special tools required, it's just a miserable bugger to get at. I've attached a diagram. If it doesn't come through very well I can attach a PDF to your email address.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_95Altima_1.jpg

+1
Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 AT 2:27 PM
JJWJR29

Can you email me that diagram in pdf? I'm having the exact same problem with my altima ac. Address in jjwjr29@hotmail. Com. I would appreciate it!

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 1:08 PM
YOYOMA

Thanks James W. I appreciate your input and will try it over the weekend. I was out of town for a while and didn't get a chance to see your reply until today and thus the late response. Thanks again.

Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 2:43 PM
JS101

Hello James,
Thanks for the discussions on the replacement of temp control amp. Please, send me the diagram that you have in a pdf format to my email js_mco@yahoo. Com.
Thanks.

[/quote:945270e755]

Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 1:11 PM
TIMBOBAB

I have been doing some research and this seems like the exact issue I am having as well.

I tried to view the available diagram and it was too small to view.

Could I have the same information sent to me as well.

Thanks in advance!

Timbobab@gamil. Com

Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 2:50 PM