ENGINE RATTLE SUSPECT TIMING CHAIN GUIDE

2000 Nissan Altima

2000altima

October, 23, 2008 AT 8:04 PM

Noises problem
2000 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102300 miles

I have a dull roar coming from the engine, I can't pinpoint it but saw on consumer reports about lower timing chain guides are a common issue with the Altima. They also mention a broken BTV valve bracket. What is a BTV valve and where do I find it. T-chain guide is probably a big job and I may not tangle with it. Like to work on 'em but know my limitations. Any help about the location of BTV valve and what I can expect if I try to fix the t-chain guide would be helpful. Thanks. Kevin.

mastertechtim

October, 23, 2008 AT 9:03 PM

Remove the valve cover and look for the broken bracket. I dont know for sure but I remember having one of these altimas with a 4 cyl making noise like it was a timing chain and I removed valve cover and found something broken or loose and I removed it and that fixed it. I know it doesnt sound too professional but I just cant remember exactly what it was but I remember it was a easy fix after removing valve cover. Hope this helps

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe