2000 Nissan Altima Axle Boots

• 1 POST

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2000 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Automatic 110000 miles

My mechanic has told me that the axle boots on my Nissan Altima were cracked and they need to be fixed. I told him to go ahead and fix it, but my husband says he does not want to put any money into our old car unless it affects the driveability of it. It sounds to me that a cracked axle boot, if not fixed, would cause a bigger problem if I don't get it fixed. Should I go ahead and get it fixed, or just let the boots stay broken and hope for the best? P.S. I'm very proactive on car repairs, my husband waits and waits until the very last second to bring it in to the shop. This is a car my teenagers drive, so I want to make sure they are driving a safe car on the road. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 7:56 AM

Drive axles rely on the CV axles grease to keep them lubricated and cooled. Once the boot is torn, it should be immediately repaired to avoid axles contamination from dirt, moisture, and most importantly loos of axle grease. If not fixed immediately, over time contamination will damage the axle joint, will make it start to chatter and eventually break. ASE has determined that axle damage may occur as early as a few hours to as long as a year, depending on how the vehicle is being driven.

Now your husband is thinking, money does not grow on tree. Well, in a way money is made out of paper, and paper comes from tree, but you know what I mean. Anyway, the car is still drivable. Why should you fix it. Let just wait until the axle breaks and then just install a new axle. You would save money now, and just wait to spend the money when you really have to spend it. As I have explained, it may take as long as long a year, before the car breaks down.

As a tech, I suggest that you do repair it. But only you and your husband should decide between keeping the money and spend it when you really have to or take a chance that the car doesn't break when one of your children drive it, the car breaks down, and your child is stranded where God knows where, having to spend the towing charge, and then really pay for the axle replacement and labor. Oh by the way, some shops with bad reputation do want some people to have the last second waiting game mentality. They make more money of this group of people, rather than the ones who come in periodically for regular maintenance.

I hope I make it easier to choose.

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 12:23 AM