1999 Nissan Altima Need Advice

MC07
  • 1999 NISSAN ALTIMA
Hi, I have my 99 Nissan Altima since September of 07'. When I first bought the car and went to put gas in it. The car would not start. I had to keep my foot on the gas while cranking it to get it to start. Me and My husband have just got it repaired today getting slack of the chain? And other parts done near the engine. We thought that might be the problem why my car had started to shut off. But, once again today it did not want to start after I put gas in it? IS this a major problem? Could you tell me what I may need and how much it usually cost? I know one guy at Auto Zone said I needed a good tune-up, but can not having one done right away make a car do that? It also when I break shakes a little like it wants to shut off? But, it doesn't. Could that be the cylonoid or something? I need advice!
Thursday, March 13th, 2008 AT 7:32 PM

MARK SAUER
You need a tuneup prob. And if it hasn't been done for awhile it can cause problems like you have. If the spark plugs are very old/bad the car will be hard to start and can die while your driving it. When you let off the gas and when starting it needs the gas pedal pushed down sounds like it's not getting fuel or the engine needs tuning or the air filter could be dirty and the engine is starving for air. There are many poss. Including fuel pump getting weak, fuel filter plugged, pcv valve needs replacing or a list of other parts. Likely one part is causing your trouble and most of these are not expensive. Try the air filter first; hold it up to a light or the sun and if you can't see thru it well then replace it. Pcv valve is easy to take off and replace for ab. 5.00 to $10.00. Try to take out one park plug to see how it looks; plugs are only 8.00 to 10.00 to replace. Fuel filter must be replaced at some point and likely is due and the price varies on this but not too bad usually. Also, you could have a vacuum leak which only needs a vac. Hose to be replaced or reconnected. You can start the car and then open the hood and listen. If you hear a hissing sound like air being sucked out then follow the ound to find the source. Often you can find it by moving your hand along the hoses until the sound changes. Well, your head is prob. Swimming now but try and don't give up. GOOD LUCK. MARK
Monday, March 17th, 2008 AT 9:50 PM