1997 Nissan Altima fuel pump?

WAKER704
  • 1997 NISSAN ALTIMA
I beleive the fuel pump has gone out on my moms car is there any way I can tell or test to see if thats the problem. She was driving and she said all the sudden it acted like it was not geting gas mashed down on the accelerator and would not go any faster. She pulled over then it died and then it started back up for a minute then it died and now will not start.
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 6:46 PM

IMPALASS
Hello

We need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. Pull a plug wire off of the spark plug and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical. If you are getting good spark then you need to get a fuel pressure check on the fuel pump to ensure it is putting out okay. If it is not putting out any pressure then most likely your pump is bad.

If you can get it started, please go to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important. Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

Also, what is the engine size in Liters?

Once you have performed the above let us know and we will advise from there.
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 9:47 PM