1997 Nissan Altima Broken Turn Signal Arm

THEFLYER
  • 1997 NISSAN ALTIMA
I broke the arm that turns the high beam on and signals to turn right and left on my 97 Nissan Altima and I was wondering how big of a job it is to get it replaced. Please let me know what needs to be replaced and how much do you think it will cost. By the way, the signal arm totally broke and can't be glued on. Thanks.
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 7:17 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
DIY instructions are below along with a repair estimate if you decide to go to a repair shop...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_644.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname2_164.jpg

Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 9:05 PM
THEFLYER
Thank yo so much for your reply. Could you please direct me to where I could buy the part needed. By the way, only the turn signal broke. The window wiper arm didn't.
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 9:52 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Most part stores should be able to order it for you, or you can search local salvage yards and even on eBay. Com. The combination switch is just another name for the turn signal switch, because it controls more than just one component.
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 9:53 PM
THEFLYER
I tried to order it online but I found like 20 different ones ranging from $49 to $169 under the same title for the 97 Altima and they all more or less say the same thing. I see you listed a part number but I'm unable to read the numbers. Could you direct me to the site to order it. Thanks again.
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 10:21 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
The part number is : 25540-40U60 .. This is for the OEM (original equipment manufactured) dealer part itself. It should cost around $79 at the dealer. You could also order it online from AutoZone. Com for around $64.99. Just choose wether your vehicle is equipped with stock foglamps or not.
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 10:30 PM
THEFLYER
You are the best! Thank you and have a wonderful night.
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 10:47 PM
THEFLYER
Sorry to bother you again but I got the switch and I would like to replace it myself. I was wondering if there is some kind of illustration to show me how to replace the switch. Thanks again.
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 9:13 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
How about step by step to help you through the repair?

REMOVAL:

Disable the air bag system by disconnecting the negative battery cable and waiting at least 10 minutes, prior to starting this procedure.
Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the steering column covers.

At this point, the individual switch assemblies can be removed without removing the combination switch base assembly. To service an individual switch/stalk assembly, disconnect the electrical lead and remove the two stalk-to-base mounting screws. If the switch base must be removed, proceed with the remainder of the removal procedure.

Disconnect the electrical harness from the switch.
Remove the retaining screws, push down on the base of the switch with moderate pressure, then twist the switch and pull it from the steering wheel shaft.

INSTALLATION:

Install the switch on the steering shaft and tighten the retaining screws.

Many vehicles have turn signal switches with a tab that must fit into a hole in the steering shaft. This fit is necessary in order for the system to return the switch to the neutral position after the turn has been made. Be sure to align the tab and the hole when installing the combination switch.

Connect the electrical harness to the switch.
Install the steering column covers.
Install the steering wheel.
Connect the negative battery cable.
Check the switch functions for proper operation.
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 9:35 PM