STALLED OUT, WILL NOT START

1986 Nissan 300ZX

zxguy1986

June, 28, 2010 AT 9:25 PM

1986 Nissan 300ZX 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 240000 miles

My 1986 Nissan 300zx non-turbo was running fine, then just stalled out suddenly and would not restart. I checked the plugs, wiring, fuel, all are OK. I installed a new coil, distributor cap and rotor. If I unplug the connector wire to injector #2, engine will start but idles on only 2 or 3 cylinders (very weak ignition in cylinders 2, 4 and 6). When engine is idling, if I reconnect injector #2 again, engine will stall out and will not restart - unless I spray Carb and Choke Cleaner into the air intake while cranking the starter. Then it will start. I checked the fuel pressure and it is 37-40 psi at idle - which is in the range specified in the Nissan Manual. Can anybody help me figure out what the problem is?

EDITED on 06/29/10:

Thank you, rasmataz! (Below).

We just checked the ohm readings at injectors #1, #2, and #3 (the others are buried deep behind wiring and hoses.) - And the reading at #2 was way off, only 1/3 of the readings at #1 and #3. So, #2 is definitely failed. I really appreciate your help and I will be making a contribution to this site!

Thanks again, ras and guys !

June, 28, 2010 AT 11:15 PM

Check and test the injector no.2 solenoid resistances could be shorted out and dragging the other ones down or the wiring itself

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right