My truck wont go into park

BOWLGOD
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The Truck will not go into park. All the other gears work fine. I just can't get it to shift into park. I cant find how to adjust the linkage. I don't see anything blocking the ability to shift. The shifter goes all the way up in the column but the transmission or the linkage is preventing it from going into park.
Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 AT 2:17 PM

KEN

Remove the transmission shifting cable from the selector arm at the transmission and see if you can push the selector more, if you cannot then the parking mechanism (Pawl) inside the transmission is broken and needs to be replaced.

Here is a diagram for what to do

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
-1
Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 AT 6:28 PM
SBROOKS7667
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I cant get my truck out of park. I have replaced the brake switch twice and still wont come out of park. Has a P0700 code. Could that be it or something else?
Saturday, December 1st, 2018 AT 8:42 AM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
The PO700 is just a generic transmission code that tells you nothing specific. You would need a professional scan tool to get the factory code.

That would be called the shift interlock feature. It operates on the same circuit as the brake lights so the first thing you want to do is to make sure the brake lights are working when this problem is present. If the brake lights are working, that proves the circuit is good up to that point, then you'll have to get to the solenoid in the console. Disassemble as much as you have to to access the solenoid near the shifting mechanism. Us a 12v test light to test for power coming and going at the solenoid when the brake is applied. If power is arriving and switching and the solenoid is not triggering, the solenoid is bad and will have to be replaced.
JIM007
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADOCHEVROLET SILVERADO
1997 Chevy Silverado 5.7L (350ci) auto. 186k

Truck will not not shift out of park after the engine is started. Brake lights work so I don't think it's the brake light switch. Ignition? Seat sensor? Thanks.
Check assigned fuse-could be an interlock system lock switch at brake pedal bracket/shift lock solenoid/park switch or bad ground.
B ALGOOD
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have it running going to put in drive to go, Won't come out of park. It's in a heated shop but was sitting for a while.
Saturday, December 1st, 2018 AT 8:43 AM (Merged)
Is your brake lights working? If so problem is coming from the shift interlock control system-could be the shiftlock control solenoid-
-1
FREDDIE_RAY
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Went to shift into reverse and the lever moved but vehicle didn't shift gears. Need a starting point before tearing apart the steering column. Think it may be the Shift Lever Pivot Assembly.
Is the linkage at the tranny moving when you shift it? Be careful, don't get yourself run-over. Have a helper sitting in there with their foot on the brake and e-brake set.
GARY D BOGGS
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

transmission does not go into park
QUAGMIRE86
A little more detail would help us find a solution for you. I would suggest inspecting the cable that runs down to the linkage on the transmission. Also, ensure the mounting bolts (at transmission pan area) that holds the linkage is tight. Otherwise, there may be something interfering with the gear shift lever behind the cover of the steering column.
+4