Turns over but will not start

TERRY CANADY
  • 1997 FORD F-150
The truck will not start, it turns over. I have ruled the battery out. Where should I look next?
Sunday, July 17th, 2016 AT 6:47 PM

Is the check engine light on?

If so, Scanning the truck might give some clue as to what might be wrong, write down the exact code numbers! (not what they might mean)

Got gas in the tank?!

Can you hear the fuel pump run for two seconds when you turn the key to on? (a hum)

If no, it could be anything from a fuse/ a wire problem/ a relay/ bad fuel pump. Any of which might stop the pump from pumping.

Then we have the possibility of no spark. Many things might prevent that.

A quick way to see if you have spark and no fuel might be:

Do this outside, away from anything that might catch on fire, with a fire extinguisher handy and a soaking wet towel (you pick which one to use 1st if things go wrong.)

Take the breather hose off and give the throttle body a one second burst of starter fluid.

Quickly shove the breather hose back on

Attempt a start

If it runs for a few seconds, you have spark!

If not, chances are there is no spark, it might be time to test a spark plug/ spark plug wire, parts stores carry a tester you plug in line and hook to the plug. You then watch for a light to flash in it's center to verify spark or no spark. If we so not have spark, there is a good chance that we do have fuel.

Below is a link to what I am describing.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-inlline-spark-tester-20610/22984543-P?searchTerm=spark+tester+

Back to the squirt of starter fluid, Let's say it did run a few seconds.

We have spark.

But we lack fuel

Let's Stop at that!

Continuing to squirt more in is not gonna make it run right! That was just a test to see whether a spark problem or a fuel problem is the problem Which route will we pursue?

The more you squirt, the more likely you might start a fire! So stop!

Which one do we not have, spark or fuel?

The Medic

Sunday, July 17th, 2016 AT 7:42 PM