TRANSMISSION ISSUE

• MichaelLSJ
  • 1991 Toyota Corolla

Usually when it shifts into gear (automatic) my car, it is okay when it shifts, but after passing 25 mph it will not go into gear.

Monday, July 29th, 2013 AT 7:13 AM

• KHLow2008

Sorry I cannot understand your question.

Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 AT 6:51 AM
  • MichaelLSJ

Okay. When you drive a automatic vehicle, it shifts on it natural way.
Example:

When you step on the gas pedal the transmission shifts automatically. Similar to a standard like: first Gear is 5 mph then second gear is 15 mph then third is 25 mph then forth gear is 35 mph.
Do you get what I meant?
Do I have to adjust my (Idle) on my Distributor or Something?

+1
Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 AT 7:27 AM
  • KHLow2008

I understand automatic shifting, but I still do not get what you are trying to ask about.

Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 5:20 AM
  • MichaelLSJ

Do I have to change my transmission fluid and filter? To make it run smoother for it to gear in properly? This the only simple way to type it out. If anything I will take/send a picture to make it clear to both of us.
Thanks.

Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 7:50 PM
  • graphicgirl222

Are you asking what you might be able to adjust (or repair), because you feel that your automatic transmission shifts into forth gear too early (or, it is not going at a fast enough speed when it shifts)? Are you thinking that it should shift when you are going around 35 mph (like a manual trans), but it shifts at 25 mph instead?
I am no mechanic, so please excuse me if I am wrong. I am just trying to help, but it sounds like maybe the mechanic that was trying to help you, did not know "what" your actual "question" was.

Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 4:59 AM
  • KHLow2008

There is no filter to replace. It uses a strainer and if this is clogged, it would mean the transmission is a gone case as well.

I still do not understand if you have a problem with the transmission or not.

Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 7:21 AM
  • MichaelLSJ

To: graphicgirl222,
Yes that is the kinda of question to my answer that I am looking for. Its similar to a standard stick shift. Stays on 25 mph like third gear and does not shift on forth gear at 35 mph. This is the simple answer I am looking for? What is wrong with it?

Also to: KHLow2008,
That answer paragraph is what I am looking for.

Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 7:06 AM
  • KHLow2008

Automatic transmission shifting are dependent on throttle opening and do not specifically up or down shift at any fixed point/speed.

There is a transmission throttle cable that if incorrectly adjusted would result in erratic shifting. If the accelerator cable is too loose, you would not be able to get the throttle cable to open as desired.

Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 8:18 AM
  • MichaelLSJ

Thank you.
Do you have a diaphragm or a picture? That you could show/tell me where is that location at in my family vehicle? We gladly appreciate it. Thanks much.

Sunday, August 4th, 2013 AT 6:21 AM
  • KHLow2008

Sorry for the delay. Seems notification of the reply slipped through.

The throttle cable is attached to the throttle body whereby you have one cable to the accelerator pedal and the other would lead to the transmission. If you remove the air cleaner hose, it would be easier to work on.

Saturday, September 14th, 2013 AT 9:40 PM