Driving up a hill my car suddenly moves very slowly

SHAWN_187
  • 2002 NISSAN ALMERA
When driving up a hill my car suddenly moves very slowly, like at 15 -20 km/h and the rpm's only goes to like 2500 and then drops down quickly ( the needle in the gauge is bouncing at 2500 and back to like 1000 like every second but the car will not cut off.

The car is going a bit back and forward a lot when this happens. Car runs great on flat roads but once I start going up a hill this problem occurs. There is no loss of power or speed on flat roads.

I had a qg16 engine ( a 1.6) before in the car and the same problem occurred but the transmission felt like it was slipping and there was loss of power so I changed the engine to a qg18 ( a 1.8) and bought a new transmission.

After the engine change there is more power on flat roads and the transmission does not slip on hills. But there is the same problem of the car no being able to drive up a hill normal. If I make it at the top of a hill or halfway I have to pull over to stop for a while and when I continue to drive mostly on flat road again, the car drives normal.

There are no codes but the check engine light is on. All oils are at their levels and there are no leaks anywhere.
Please help me!
Monday, September 19th, 2016 AT 4:36 PM

MHPAUTOS
Is the transmission oil okay? Is it bright red or dark and smells burnt?
Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 AT 2:04 AM
SHAWN_187
Yes, the transmission oil is good, was changed few months ago when the engine was changed along with other oils. Also plugs were changed. I heard about changing the fuel filter on the web. Do you know where it is located and will this help?

I also heard some stuff about a plugged catalytic converter, can you please give information about this? Also which part do you suggest I replace first, because I do not want to waste money since the car only gives this problem going up a hill?

Any advice and information is appreciated. Thanks
Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 AT 7:06 AM
KEN
Hey SHAWN,

Yes it sounds like the cat converter is partially plugged, here is a guide to help you test it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-catalytic-converter

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Saturday, September 24th, 2016 AT 4:21 PM
SHAWN_187
Hey Thanks for the advice Ken

So I looked for my cat converter and it was bolted on under my exhaust manifold and when I checked I found that it was changed when I had installed a new engine( it came with the engine) There isn't much of a rattling noise.

There is another box in the middle of the car I think its the resonator, could this also get plugged, there isn't a rattling noise from it.

I also removed the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, when I rev the engine a lot (usually at 3000 - 3500rpm) there is a backfire noise that comes through the O2 sensor hole.
Is this normal?

Also if I change my fuel filter, which I plan 2 do first, and there is still the problem, Any advice what could be the problem.
Could a bad sensor cause this, if so which one most likely. Remember the problem is only up hill and the car works great on flat.
Monday, September 26th, 2016 AT 8:31 AM
KEN
It sounds like you may have a broken valve spring. Here is a guide that may help you, please check it out and get back to me.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-backfires-while-running

Monday, September 26th, 2016 AT 9:45 AM