My 96 Dodge Avenger will crank over but not start

GEORGE TALBOT
  • 1996 DODGE AVENGER
I recently bought a 96 dodge avenger and it has ran great up until recently, I took it to have it inspected and while there the car wouldn't start, my mechanic checked for spark and there was plenty of
spark, I tried starting the car again and it did start, I went home shut the car off and went to sleep for work when I went out to leave for work all the car would do was turn over, I changed the fuel pump the fuel pump relay and oil pressure switch and the inline fuel filter, and still no luck starting it. My question is, is there a fuel cut off switch that I might of tripped when I changed the fuel pump and if so where is it located, or is there a fuel pump reset switch and if so where is it located, and also is there a fuel pump fuse and if so where is it located, I'm a single father and I need to get this problem taken care of before I lose my job, any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Sunday, June 8th, 2014 AT 10:59 AM

Hi:
Sorry for you trouble. I'll do my best to help. As far as a reset, I have never seen one on this vehicle. Yes, there is a fuse. It will be under the hood in the power distribution box.

Tell me this. Before you replaced the pump, did you check for fuel pressure at the engine? Have you checked since you replaced it? Can you hear the pump actuate when you first turn the key on? Have you checked the fuel pump relay in the relay box under the hood?

And finally, will the engine start for a couple seconds if you use starting fluid?
Sunday, June 8th, 2014 AT 6:53 PM
GEORGE TALBOT
No I didn't check the fuel pressure before or after changing the fuel pump, I changed the fuel pump relay its also new, and I also changed both oil pressure switches, and yes it will start for a few seconds if I spray starting fluid.
+1
Monday, June 9th, 2014 AT 10:14 AM
The problem is no fuel to the engine. You need to start by checking fuel pump pressure to make sure it is within the manufacturer's specs. If it is, then there is a problem at the injectors. There may not be power getting to them.

Check pressure and let me know what you find.
+1
Monday, June 9th, 2014 AT 5:17 PM
GEORGE TALBOT
What amount of pressure should I find when I test fuel pressure
Monday, June 9th, 2014 AT 5:21 PM
The pressure should be around 50psi. Also, If I recall, there are 2 auto shut down relays on this vehicle. They are located in the engine compartment, drivers side, on the firewall. There will be 2 small aluminum relays side by side. Tap on them with a screw driver to see if that has any affect on the issue.
Monday, June 9th, 2014 AT 5:43 PM
GEORGE TALBOT
Have not been able to find the valve for testing the fuel pressure, where would it be located? And I didn't see the two shut down relays you mentioned about on the drivers side fire wall, there are three relays there the one closest to the passenger side of the car is the fuel pump relay, I don't know what the other two are
Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 5:04 AM
Most likely they are the relays I mentioned. As far as the fuel pressure, there should be a valve on the fuel rail.
Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 3:28 PM
GEORGE TALBOT
If those are the relays you are talking about they are plastic and not aluminum and I can't find the valve for testing the fuel pressure on the fuel rail, what are the relays that I should ask for when I go to the parts store.
-1
Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 3:36 PM
They are ASD relays, but I don't know if they are bad.
+1
Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 3:57 PM
GEORGE TALBOT
I think those asd relays are bad, have 12 volts of power that runs back to the fuel pump, but only long enough to light up the test light for a split second.
-1
Sunday, June 15th, 2014 AT 2:48 PM
That could be the issue. Or there is a bad wire that can't handle the voltage.
+2
Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 AT 8:42 PM