MITSUBISECLIPSE SUDDENLY DOWNSHIFTS FOR NO REASON!

1998 Mitsubishi Emeraude

highwaystar88

August, 31, 2009 AT 1:00 AM

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 104536 miles

I just purchased this car, and it has some kind of problem with the auto transmission or TCU it seems. If O/D is ON, it will drive fine around town under 40MPH all day without issue. Driving on the highway is where it gets scary. It will seem fine, and cruise in 4th for a while, but then, completely without warning, it will downshift into 3rd, then VERY hard into what seems like 1st or 2nd gear! This happened to me today while cruising at about 65MPH, and it was like I slammed on the brakes and the engine revved almost to redline. I was almost rear-ended because of it.

The previous owner told me that a sensor of some sort needed to be replaced, but that I would have no problems if I made sure to keep the O/D turned off. And she was right, it drives and shifts fine with it turned off, but revs high on the freeway, as it isn't shifting into overdrive.