MITSUBIS SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse

knmrogers

April, 1, 2008 AT 7:44 PM

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 55565 miles

My service engine light came on yesterday. I had checked all of the fluids earlier in the day and filled up with gas. But the engine light did not come on until later when I went some where. Some one told me to take it to Auto Zone and let them put the tester on it and check it, which they did and the said it was due to the gas lid, which we had already taken out and put back on. So we did it again, and the light still did not or is not going off. Does it need to be reset, or can you reset it? Any suggestions?

Thank you

mastertechtim

April, 1, 2008 AT 7:47 PM

Unfortunately if the light came back on then you have a leak in the evap system of your car and needs to be checked out. Your car will not run any different but it will not pass emissions test if your state requires one.

knmrogers

April, 1, 2008 AT 9:20 PM

Mastertechtim,

The light never went off, even after taking the gas cap off and re-tightening it, the light stayed on and has not gone off. Do you think starting the engine while pumping the gas would have anything to do to mess up the evac, because we did that on accident. So can the button be reset?

Thank you

mastertechtim

April, 3, 2008 AT 5:13 PM

No I dont think you caused it by starting it. Why didnt autozone shut the light off for you? You need that scan tool they have to turn it off.

Natureboy

June, 22, 2008 AT 9:52 AM

A lot of Auto Zone employees are rookies anyway and dont know what they're doing anyway. To resset the check engine light, take off the battery cable press the brakes 3 times and put the cable back on. It will reset the light.

mastertechtim

June, 25, 2008 AT 6:43 AM

I have never heard of that method.

octav

June, 23, 2009 AT 9:49 AM

Please let me know if you found the root cause of the service engine light on and what would be the solution to fix the problem because I deal with a similar issue.