2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Brakes Locking Up

GENE_AUGUSTINE@MSN.COM
  • 2002 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
I took the car in for an inspection and they said they had to replace the back brakes and replace the rotors. Once I told them they had never been turned they turned the rotors instead. About a week after repair the brakes will lock up after driving for about half an hour. They will smoke and you get a burning smell. After the car sets for awhile it can be driven again. I understand it could be a number of things including possibly water in the brake fluid but was wondering what your opinion might be?
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 6:46 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi Gene,

Without tests and inspections it would not be possible to specify the actual cause of the problem.

The most likely cause would be sticking caliper pistons. When brake pads are replaced, the caliper piston would have to be pushed back into the caliper and when the pistons are dirty due to dust accumulation, the piston would stick causing the pads to be locked after it heats up.
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 10:52 AM