2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Check engine light

BCKNTOP
  • 2001 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
My car has the error code P1400 I have been quoted 5 hours labor just to find out what the code means. Is there someone that can help me?
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 4:45 PM

Hi:
The PO1400 is Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor circuit. What is the car doing?
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 8:26 PM
BCKNTOP
It sounds a little hollow, but louder if that makes any sense. I had the radiator replaced about 6 months ago and the check engine ight came n about a week later. I ran over something on the road and it has been on ever Since. I am female and have had various mechanice quote me uppwards of $500.00 just to "Take a look at it" I was told that the P1400 could be alot of different things and it wasn't easy to figure out which it was. Times like this I don't like being single. I would apprecaite any advice you can give me.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 1:02 PM
The code is somewhat generic, and it will require some time to determine what is causing the problem. However, 500 dollars is a bit much. What I suggest is to check around to find someone that is willing to look at it for as little as possible.

You described it as having a hollow sound. Have you checked to make sure the air filter box and intake tube is properly attached? Also, when you hit something on the road, could it have damaged the exhaust?

Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 1:33 PM
BCKNTOP
Hi Joe,
I have had friends look at it and was told everything looks fine. The Mechanic that gave me the code yesterday checked the hoses and the air filter and said it all looks good. He told me to go on this site and find out what the problem area was and if it isn't something difficult, he would do the repair, but again, he doesn't like to work on Eclipse's due to the way it is put together. If it is the Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor circuit, what would the Symptoms be? The car sounds like there might be something wrong with the exhaust system. No one I know will touch my car due to the fact that everything is so hard to get to. They don't want to deal with it. The problem is I still need to get it fixed as inexpensively as possible.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 3:20 PM
Hi:
Believe me, I understand. Based on the code, I would believe there is a vacuum leak somewhere on or around the intake. It could cause a noise that you described. Also, check the exhaust for leaks. On this type of car I'm concerned that a change in backpressure may even set the code.
Also, the Manifold Differential Pressure switch (MDP) sits on top of your intake manifold and monitors the air pressure. Check it to see if it's mounted good and maybe unplug it and plug it back in to see if there may be corrosion on the plug. Also, have someone check closely for leaks there, remove the MDP and clean it if carboned up and properly replace it. The more I think of it, the more I think that is where the problem is. You may also want to have the EGR checked for leaks, if it's stuck, or carboned up too.

Let me know what you find, or if you have other questions.

Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 7:41 PM
BCKNTOP
Thank you, I will keep you informed. I appreciate all your suggestions!
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 8:44 PM