2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Mitsubishi Eclipse crank but no sta

HUNED786
  • 2000 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 124k miles

Hi,

I have a very distinct problem with my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse v6, when the engine is cool it can start perfectly, but after a long drive when the engine is warm the car will crank but it will not start. The car has a brand new battery, new terminal wires, and I just took it for the California smog inspection and it passed on the first try. The car is able to start fine in short drives after the engine has cooled down. But trying to start the car immediately after a long drive while the engine is warm fails. what could be possibly wrong?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/576847_2000_Mitsubishi_Eclipse_A_2.jpg

Sunday, September 26th, 2010 AT 12:49 AM

When the engine is warm the car will crank but it will not start. Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Sunday, September 26th, 2010 AT 12:58 AM
HUNED786
Hi,

Sir, sorry I am not a mechanic so I could not exactly try out what you specified, but, I did try with a friend to jump-start the car, and it was able to start up. So, I just wanted to ask, I mentioned I have a brand new battery and new terminal wires, why would the jump-start get the car to start? (Could it be extra current?) (I keyed before the jump but only got crank, after the jump it was a normal start.)
Monday, September 27th, 2010 AT 12:27 AM
Check and test the starter motor and ignition switch
Monday, September 27th, 2010 AT 5:56 PM