1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse 1998 Eclipse GS standard

SOMEONE
  • 1998 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
I would like to know how to remove the Left (passengers side) engine support bracket so that I can remove the timing belt cover to replace the timimg belt. I removed the left engine support, then proceeded to remove the support bracket which is covering the timimg belt cover. There are 4 long bolts approximately 4 inches long that go through this support bracket and through the timimg cover finally settling into the engine block. When I went to remove these bolts the problem started here. The 4 bolts are so long that they backed out right up against the firewall. I was able to remove only one bolt. It's really strange because theres still about an inch and a half of bolt that needs to be backed out (thats alot) but your up against the firewall and no room to back the rest of the bolt out. I tried jacking the engine up with a block of wood under the oil pan to see if I could raise the engine enough to clear the firewall. No luck there, it only raises so far but it would still have to be jacked another 3 inches (thats alot) to clear the firewall. HOW IN THE WORLD DO I GET THESE BOLTS OUT? WHAT AM I MISSING?
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 1:50 AM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you please let me know if your model is a GS, GS-T, GSX AWD, RS, Spyder GS, or Spyder GS-t. Also your engine size in liter.

I have attached a pic so you can point out the bolts you are talking about from one of the models. Are you talking about the one I circled in red?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_111.jpg

Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 10:24 AM
SOMEONE
The engine size for the 1998 standard eclipse model GS is a 2.0 litre. The bolts you circled on your diagram are not the bolts I'm referring to. The bolts that I am referring to are the bolts that hold the left "engine support" bracket. This bracket is connected through the front of the "timing cover" and the bolts bottom out in the engine block. I cannot get the bolts out of this engine support bracket to remove it so that I can get the timing cover off.

Thanks for your response to my question, still need an answer. The Haynes manual does not tell how to remove these bolts. I just says remove them. It would be nice to remove them if there was "enough room"!
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 2:02 PM
IMPALASS
Someone

I understand your frustration. It also looks like you and I are not on the same page. Review of the procedures as attached, doesn't show there is a problem. Obviously, you are having one and it is a frustrating one. So, lets make sure you and I are talking about the same bracket.

In the information I am reviewing, my first pic, item #4 is the engine mount bracket that needs to be removed based off the procedures. One of the bolts is what I have circled.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_114.jpg

Now based off of the pic, which one, bracket are you taking about? Copy it, circle it or mark it somehow so I know what you are looking at.

I have also attached several other pics of mounts etc

I have also attached the first few parts of the removal in my manual.

Let me know what you see/are looking at and maybe I can better help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Engine_Mounts_1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Engine_Mounts_2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Engine_Mounts_3_1.jpg

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 6:35 PM
IMPALASS
Forgot the to attach the first part of the removal.

REMOVAL
Pre-removal Operation:

Crankshaft Pulley Removal.
Follow removal steps outlined in illustration.

Removal Service Points
Power Steering Oil Pump Disconnection.
Remove the power steering oil pump from the bracket with the hose attached.

NOTE: Place the removed power steering oil pump in a place where it will not be a hindrance when removing and installing the timing belt, and tie it with a cord.

Engine Mount Bracket Assembly Removal.
Place a garage jack against the engine oil pan with a piece of wood in between, jack up the engine so that the weight of the engine is no longer being applied to the engine mount bracket, and then remove the engine mount bracket.

The bracket they are talking about is number 4
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 6:37 PM
SOMEONE
So sorry, my mistake. You and I are now on the same sheet of music. You were right with your first response and the diagram you circled to # 4 the engine support bracket. That is the bracket I'm talking about. I just did'nt realize by the picture that the engine support is the little piece sitting inside the bracket on the diagram. That bracket has some extremely long bolts that when backed out go up against the firewall. I can see your manual that you inserted says the same thing my haynes manual says. "Jack up the engine with a piece of wood under the oil pan and remove the bracket". I got to that point and backed out the bolts up against the fire wall, and theres still about an inch of bolt yet to back out, but no room to back them out. I did get one bolt out but the other 2 or 3 bolts (I think theres 4 bolts) have no room to back out when your up against the firewall. I've never seen anything like this before. Like I said, I tried raising the engine on the jack after I removed the engine support. (I got the engine support off just fine.) Now the bracket, I tried raising the engine to clear the firewall to get the rest of the bolt out of the bracket. No luck there, you can only raise the engine so far and it's nowhere near enough to clear the firewall to get the bolts out. I appreciate all your help. Maybe I'm not raising the engine far enough, but I cannot believe that. I raised it to the point I felt resistance, any furthur would surely break something.
Monday, December 15th, 2008 AT 2:04 AM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Okay. Lets take a deep breath, stand back, and take a sip of coke and relook.

Is it necessary to totally remove them. By that can they all loosen and you pull the bracket out with the bolts still in the bracket? All they have to do is come out of the cover. Right?

Now when you say "firewall" is it that or the fender well?

Okay. Sorry gotta ask a dumb question because I can't tell from the pic. Is #4 on the upper or lower part?

Thanks for keeping me posted.
Monday, December 15th, 2008 AT 8:39 PM