1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse

SHEECOL
  • 1998 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
I have a 1998 eclipse that runs fine until I go up a hill. Then the check engine light comes on, car jerks, makes a pop noise and I loose overdrive and drive. Remove battery cable, reset computer and everything is fine until the next hill. This doesn't happen at a slow speed, only at higher 50-70mph speeds
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 7:16 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Don't clear the code, get it read and post the code No for more information.

Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 7:25 PM
SHEECOL
Had to drive it for about 50 miles to get them to come up again, but I got 2 of em the first came up as a pending code 0700 (transmission control system), the second was code 1776 (drivetrain power) But it does not happen on hills, we drove it up and down some 10% grades and it worked fine
Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 1:24 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

OK, thanks for that, I will do some reasearch and get back to you in a day.

Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 5:39 PM
SHEECOL
Anybody?
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 AT 9:46 AM
MONTY STEPHENS
I wouldn't believe that code. The trans won't kil the motor. But you must be mechanical -- you figured out how to reset the PCM and get it going again.

Spend Saturday afternoon with it and check the basics: trans fluid first, then fuel resssure, pull the plugs and check their condition, check compression (engines that are worn out have problems with hills, maybe that doens't sound like your motor), clean the EGR, take off wires and check the conections, especially grounds, check O2 sensors, treat it to a new air filter, clean the plenum, replace old crappy vaccum lines, change the oil, etc. Some of that is totally unrelated but all of it is good stuf to do on an older car.
You very well may fix and never know what the problem specifically was.
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 AT 10:57 AM

Related Check Engine Light Content