Missing blue wire after DIY repair replacing ignition coil

DUMBBLOND2
  • 1999 HONDA CIVIC
The engine shut off while driving (no restart) and that lead to my diagnosis that coil failed (no spark, ohms out of spec, casing shows sign of arcing/heat damage). After replacing the coil and spark plugs, I realize I hadn't taken a pic of the wire connections within the distributor and didn't have them in correct location (no start). I then realized I had more available connectors on the ICM than wires to attach. I located a wiring diagram and the unattached connector is the stand alone on the ICM (closest to the coil). A wiring diagram shows that to be the 'blue' wire for RPM indicator (but is that correct?). Pix/diagrams seen online show that blue wire is in a 2-wire black insulator with the black/yellow wire (power). I have no blue wire. And it's not broken off and within insulator. I can't find a blue wire inside the distributor at all.

So is there a wire that should be attached to that stand alone tab on ICM and why isn't it there in insulated wrap ('harness') with power wire for coil ready for me to snap on.

This isn't my first time under the hood. Removed heads for valve job -and that was 35 yrs ago. But I admit I'm looking silly with this Magic disappearing wire act.

Pic 1 Shows distributor wired as best guess and the unattached tab on ICM just below center of pic. (Distributor mounted)

Pic 2 Show more wiring detail. Wire disconnected from coil + terminal. (Distributor dismounted)

Friday, May 1st, 2015 AT 11:43 PM

ENGINE JOE 26
According to the diagram I attatched, the pair of black wires that have the eylet connector, should be attatched via a screw to the ceramic heat sink directly below them, everything else looks correct, but the initial problem sounds more like a failed ICM, if you are able to get all the wiring corrected, and it still wont start, even with a new coil, you might suspect the ICM as the culprit.
Tuesday, May 19th, 2015 AT 12:11 PM
ENGINE JOE 26
Ok I see what you mean, there should be a blue wire coming out of the sheath to go onto the side ICM tab.
Tuesday, May 19th, 2015 AT 12:21 PM
ENGINE JOE 26
May sound silly, but is your vehicle equipped with a tachometer?
+1
Tuesday, May 19th, 2015 AT 12:43 PM
GOLDBERG324
Has anyone figured this out? I have the same problem. No blue wire to connect to the icm. My old icm tested bad at two parts stores. Purchased a new one exact same set up as the old icm but I don't have a blue wire to connect to the side of icm closest to coil. I don't remember there being one when I disconnected the old icm either. Have a junker Distributor from similar car that has the blue wire although the wiring connector is different and my wiring connector also looks different from the one in the service manual. My car is a 2000 civic LX 1.6L with TEC distributor
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015 AT 8:49 AM
GOLDBERG324
Wondering if this could be a difference between automatic and manual vehicles. My car is an automatic
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015 AT 8:52 AM