Misfire, white smoking coming from under the car, not engine or tailpipe.

ELLDEE1112
  • 1993 ISUZU RODEO
4 cyl 2.6L 2WD -California is willing to pay me $1500 to retire my Rodeo, which failed smog check. In order to do this, it must be able to drive onto their wrecking lot under its own steam, and then start without help and drive 10 yards. Last week it started misfiring, and I was afraid it was gonna die, so I pulled over. After a few minutes it started right up, but stil missing badly, and white smoke that smelled like solvent (not antifreeze, tho) began billowing from under the car beneath me - not from tailpipe or engine. Shop says its a blown head gasket. The car is parked now within a mile or so of the wrecker, and I need advice on how to be sure it can drive a mile, then later start and drive ten yards. Someone suggested engine block sealer. Any suggestions? (Sorry donation is so small - retired and poor).
Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 6:58 PM

WELL SIR

KINDA A TOUGH ONE

THINK THIS ONE THRU--MAY OR MAY NOT WORK

IF YOU HAVE A HEAD GASKET ISSUE. ONE OR MORE OF THESE MAY BE HAPPENING. OIL IS GETTING IN THE WATER. WATER IS GETTING IN THE OIL.****WATER IS GETTING INTO THE CYLINDER(S)?***(CAUSING THE MISFIRES?). MAYBE OTHER CRAP IS CAUSING THE MISFIRES?

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE NOT IN LOVE WITH IT ANYMORE?

YOU KNOW. YOU CAN DRIVE A "COLD" VEHICLE A 1/8 TO A 1/4 MILE OR SO WITHOUT ANY COOLANT IN IT. BEFORE IT THE ENGINE REALLY NEEDS TO BE COOLED (WITH THE COOLANT)

SO THINK ABOUT MAYBE DRAINING THE WATER OUT. DRIVING HIM 1/8 OF A MILE. LET HIM COOL DOWN GOOD. REPEAT THE PROCESS TILL YOU GET HIM THERE

MAYBE WITHOUT THE WATER, THE CYLINDER(S)/ SPARK PLUGS WON'T GET FOULED. MAYBE IT'LL RUN BETTER, TILL YOU KISS HIM GOODBYE!

INSURE YOU HAVE OIL. BEFORE YOU START. HE WON'T RUN LONG AT ALL WITHOUT LUBRICATION

AS FAR AS THE CRANK BACK UP THING, INSURE HE DON'T HAVE TO IDLE LONG PRIOR TO THAT

THE WHOLE GAME PLAN IS TO RUN HIM. NOT TOO HOT. WE DON'T WANT HIM TO SEIZE UP!

SOUNDS LIKE THE ONLY THING TO LOSE IS THE $1500, THE VEHICLE SEEMS TO BE SHOT ALREADY

JUST SOME THOUGHTS, I COULD NEVER GET RID OF MY BABIES!

YOUR THOUGHTS

Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 8:03 PM
CADIEMAN
Easy answer here try the sealer start it up without driving it. If the smoke cuts down or stops leave the radiator cap off and drive it there just refill the radiator when you get there. If it's still smoking remove the spark plugs and turn it over and see what cylinder is shooting water out. Leave the plug out and reinstall the others. Drive it there with the cap off and refill the radiator when you get there with no water in the cylinders it will restart no problem.
Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 9:55 PM
ELLDEE1112
CJMEDEVAC AND Cadieman, thank you so much for your kind help. I'm off to Sacramento, where it died, to make this happen, and I do feel, that with the help of your suggestions, this will work out fine. Regards, -Linda
Thursday, October 31st, 2013 AT 12:13 PM
CADIEMAN
I HOPE EVERYTHING WENT GOOD FOR U.
Saturday, October 18th, 2014 AT 7:44 AM