STUCK IN PARK (BRAKE LIGHTS/HORN DON'T

1993 Mercury Tracer

John Flanders

March, 28, 2008 AT 11:08 AM

1993 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

My car gets stuck in park, (the engage button on the shifter won't depress). I also noticed my brake lights and horn don't work which makes me think this
is electrical. I am able, after much jiggling of the engage button and shifter to get the car into gear.
Is this somthing I can fix?
Thanks,
John

ANSWER: I'll answer my own question. There is a solenoid under the shifter cover on the passenger side. It sometimes gets sticky from drinks that have spilled on the console because the drinks holders are right there. Take the cover off (2 pieces, one around the shifter, another around the emergency brake. 6 screws, easy to do. Take the brake case cover off first.) Get a Q-tip, put rubbing alcohol on it
and wash the plastic solonoid piston in its extended position. Now when you press the brake (with power on) it should activate.
P.S. If you can't get the shifter out of park to work on this, there is a black plastic maual release button to push forward. It's on the top of the shifter case.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy