1988 Mercury Station Wagon Fuel Gauge, power windows and AC

GOPIQPP
  • 1988 MERCURY STATION WAGON
When I got back just now after a long drive and after stopping at the gas station a few miles back and filling the gas tank, my fuel gauge was suddenly showing empty, the fuel warning lamp came on, the power windows wouldnt work and the AC fan worked but the compresor wouldnt kick in. The headlights, interior lights, wipers and indicators are OK. No other warning lights came on, other than the fuel warning light. Car moves well and engine ticks over normally at idle. Cassete player is working normally.

After I waited a few minutes and restarted the car everything worked normally, and then the fuel gauge slid to empty again and the fuel warning lamp came on. This happened a few times intermittently.
Where do I start the trouble shooting procedure? Could this be a blown fuse or link? And why is it intermittent?
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 3:48 AM

GOPIQPP
I solved the problem - faulty ignition switch.
Friday, September 18th, 2009 AT 12:49 PM