Spark plug location

DOUG MORLAND
  • MERCURY SABLE
Just bought a 1998 Mercury Sable LS: v6 Durotec, 3.0l, 111km. I want to change the plugs (which I've already bought) and I see the front 3 plugs. Where are they hiding the rear 3 plugs and how on Earth do I get at them?
My first question here, thank you.
Thursday, September 27th, 2007 AT 5:31 PM

MERLIN2021
They are between the firwall and the opposite side from the front! Reach around and use your plug socket!
-1
Thursday, September 27th, 2007 AT 5:42 PM
DOUG MORLAND
Thanks, I figured that part out. I'm not sure if your intent was meant to be sarcastic or something?

I HAVE tried "reaching around", looking around, trying a mirror, even up from underneath and I did get a practical solution from someone who said to undo the R. Cowl Screen, R. Cowl and the ignition coil. I'm reluctant to try that as there seem to be a lot of connections that I'm afraid to disturb without me really knowing a lot about the whole thing. It's amazing how difficult it seems to be to make an attempt to do these repairs by yourself?
Any other ideas out there?
Thanks again. Doug M.
Friday, September 28th, 2007 AT 10:28 AM
MERLIN2021
All I can tell you now is it IS possible! Follow the plug wires, that are tucked in a conduit that guides them around. Take the air plenum off for more access!
-1
Friday, September 28th, 2007 AT 3:50 PM
FAIRRACING31
Doug, you can reach your plugs by removing the coil pack, but even then it's a very tight fit.I find it just as easy and quick to remove the plentum as Merlin says and gives you plenty of room. If you do remove the plentum, you might consider to replace your plug wires if they are original. It really sucks to do all that work and then a month later have a plug wire go bad.
+1
Friday, October 5th, 2007 AT 4:54 PM
DAVE1968
I would suggest replacing your plenum gasket also if you go that route. It's not very hard to do, just basic r&r.
Saturday, October 6th, 2007 AT 4:53 PM