MISFIRE IN CYL 5

Mercury Sable

maddog75

March, 12, 2007 AT 5:52 PM

I have a 01 Sable with a code that indicates a misfire in cyl #5 I have tried wires, plugs and coil but nothing helps, do your have any other suggestions?

Engine Miss

bigboy76

March, 12, 2007 AT 7:47 PM

Ive been having some troubles with mine misfiring as well and but its in more then 1 cylinder. With my experience im now in search for a catalytic converter. Im no expert but a lil something helps

maddog75

March, 13, 2007 AT 2:28 PM

I had the converter replaced a few months back due to the engine light blinking and very poor exceleration and idle, I have the car at the dealer right now and they are running alot tests Ill check back in when I know what they say.

merlin2021

March, 13, 2007 AT 3:53 PM

Two tests you haven't done. Compression test, and test of the fuel injector at #5! Let me know what you come up with!

maddog75

March, 15, 2007 AT 7:42 PM

Got my car back today and they replaced the lift springs in cyl 5 due to a lack of compression. Hopefully that will work. Disreguard last post. Light back on today and back to the dealer with a few choice words!

merlin2021

March, 22, 2007 AT 1:37 PM

You need to find out what the results of the compression test was. This will tell you if you need engine work or not. No power on earth will fix a bad valve except replacement!

maddog75

March, 22, 2007 AT 2:05 PM

The dealer replaced the valve springs but that didnt work what they found out after I brought the car back was that one of the exhaust valves was no good and they in the process of replacing the whole head. Thank god I got the extended warrenty! Thanx for the help.

merlin2021

March, 22, 2007 AT 5:11 PM

No problem!