1998 Mercury Sable Heater has stopped working

TMONEY9887
  • 1998 MERCURY SABLE
Was recently driving with the heat on. And noticed only cold air will come out. The next time I started my car, I let it warm up for about 10 minutes, got in and turned the heat on. The heat worked for maybe 30 seconds. Then it got cold again. I was driving to work and also noticed that the temperature gauge was all over the place. Going up to almost the red line the going back down to halfway. Very quickly. Seems odd knowing it is likely impossible for it to go from hot to cold and hot again that fast. I dont know much about cars and ANY help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 AT 5:48 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Taurus and Sable flush.
Thank you for the donation, and good description of your situation, very refreshing. You have a heater core plugging up.

Remove the heater core hoses at the firewall. Be easy with it, you do not want to rupture the core taking the hoses off. You may want to just cut the hoses flush at the nipple of the heater core, remove the clamps and make a cut on the hose so you can peel the cutoff hose that is still there.

Get two pieces of 5/8" heater hoses that are about 10-12 inches long each. Slide them onto the heater core nipples, no need to clamp.

Take a garden hose and with moderate pressure spray the heater core in one direction and then into the other hose to start to get some of the loose sediment. IT will like really brown/red/orange kind of color. When water runs clean, pull off the lower hose and let it drain and reattach. Buy a bottle of coolant flush chemical and pour it into the higher hose. Both hoses should be pointing up. One 12 oz bottle should fill the core. Let it set 3 hours. Backflush the heater core like you just did and reattach the original hoses and clamps again only if the coolant is clean.

IF the antifreeze looks dirty that is in the reservoir, then you should connect the two heater hoses so they by pass the heater core and flush the system thoroughly.

Once the entire system was flushed properly, and then reattach the heater hose to the core and top off the system. Recheck the level next time the car has cooled to ambient temperature.

IF the antifreeze looks dirty that is in the reservior, then you should connect the two heater hoses so they by pass the heater core and flush the system thoughly.

Once the entire system was flushed properly, then reattach the heater hose to the core and top off the system. Recheck the level next time the car has cooled to ambient temperature.
Wednesday, November 18th, 2009 AT 5:25 PM