1997 Mercury Sable Heat is not properly working

BWEATHERFORD1
  • 1997 MERCURY SABLE
Last winter my heat would not work at all, I had it checked out and was told that I needed to have my radiator flushed, upon doing that I ended up having to have the radiator & overflow container replaced, still no heat. We then thought the heater core was clogged and had it blown out after which they said we needed a new thermostat, after $512, we still have very little heat. When the engine has warmed up and you turn the heat on it blows out very warm air for about 15-20 seconds then it begins to cool and will not be warm again until you cut the heat off, wait a few minutes and then turn it back on again. Do you have any idea what could possibly be wrong, given the fact that it does blow very warm air to begin with makes me think that something is still working.
Monday, December 15th, 2008 AT 3:46 PM

BMRFIXIT
Heater core is clogged and need to be flushed
try this

WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP FROM A HOT COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY UNTIL PRESSURE BEGINS TO RELEASE. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN CERTAIN ALL PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE PRESSURE CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP.
Engine cool
lower the coolant level
Locate the two hoses running to the heater core
disconnect them at the engine side leaving hoses connected to heater core throw the firewall
use garden water hose and compressed air if possible
run the water and follow by air throw one side and out the other and vice versa
do that two to three times watching what leaving the heater core you are looking for the good flow and clear water to run throw
reconnect hoses
top off coolant system
good luck
let me know
Wednesday, December 17th, 2008 AT 6:24 AM