1994 Mercury Sable Starting

KEN DAVIDSON
  • 1994 MERCURY SABLE
Sometimes I must crank the engine several times before it will finally start. (Naturally, I turn the starter switch for two or three seconds, let the starter cool for a few seconds, try again, etc.)

Three weeks ago I tried a few times each day for two days before it finally started. Immediately drove it to an auto-electric shop. They installed a new coil, but the engine still acted up. Had the original coil checked at an AutoZone store; it was ok. The technician said it could be the pick-up in the distributor but he couldn't check it unless he could witness the starting problem.

Took it to an auto-diagnostics shop. They, too, said they could not check the problem unless it was acting up while they had the car. Doesn't this vehicle have a computer module that stores defect or error codes?
Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 12:21 AM

MERLIN2021
Is the check engine light on? On the inner fender is the diagnostic connector, you hook up the single pigtail, (green) i think...to the other plug and read the light on the dash as it flashes the codes, my money is on having fuel pump pressure tested, and a leak down test on the injectors.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Test_Connector_Pre96_27.jpg

Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 7:22 AM