2002 Mercury Mountaineer

JLC5826
  • 2002 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER
  • AWD
My cr started making a funny noise on Friday 8/28. I took it to the shop on Monday 8/31. They told me I had a bad rod bearing and needed a new engine. The cost of the engine is more than what the car is worth, so I have decided not to fix the car. My question is, is there any way of telling how long I actually have before the engine siezes up? And what will actually happen if I am driving while the engine siezes up? Thank you.
Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 8:52 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok so have you use a screwdriver or automotive stethiscope to listen to it your self? What engine is in it? If it has the Romeo block there is a head problem that will cause it to make engine noise too. It is TBS bulletin number TBS-03-16-4. It simply say's that engine will produce a tick noise and replacing heads will fix the problem. With this noise it will run for a long time. Hope this helps.
Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 11:22 AM