2001 Mercury Mountaineer Check Engine Light Bulb

AVAQUINN7761
  • 2001 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER
  • AWD
Took in for Smog check at a smog only station in CA.
They can not do any type of repairs under state law.
Said my car passed but that they couldn't issue me a certificate as my check engine light bulb was burnt out. How do I change this bulb?
Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 3:29 PM

RICKMAR
Hi Avaquinn;

I just need to know a few answers to a couple of questions. So I know I can give you the instructions you need.

(1) Does your instrument cluster look like this with "White gauges and red pointers" ?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_Untitled3_1.jpg

Or "Black gauges" with white pointers?

(2) Do they look identically the same as yours with (Tach & Speedometer) in the center, (Fuel & Temperature) at the left. (Oil & Battery) at the right? If you answered "YES" to questions 1&2 continue reading. I have the information you need to replace the bulb.

(3) Looking at the instrument cluster picture with the "White Gauges" at the left in the area of (Fuel &Temperature) you can see a little yellow spot just about on the center "edge"... that is the check engine light. (White or Black instrument clusters check engine light locations are identical).
Your bulb has burned out and you need to replace it so it will illuminate and everyone is smiling and they can issue you a certificate?
If you answered "Yes" to question (3), I have the "step" by "step" instructions to replace that bulb.

You will need a 7 MM socket with a small extension and a ratchet "1/4 inch drive" if it is available, if not ...what ever you have.
In the "step by step" instructions, you will be removing the entire "White" or "Black" instrument cluster from the dash. It sounds pretty heavy duty..but it is not bad at all, I'll guide you right through it.

Knowing the instrument cluster needs to be completely or partially removed to gain access to the back of the instrument cluster where all the bulbs are located....do you want to continue?
Again... I will guide you through it step by step...with pictures.
Just let me know and we will get that bulb replaced guaranteed.
Rick
Saturday, November 14th, 2009 AT 11:14 PM
RICKMAR
Here is a picture of the "Black" gauges

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_Cluster_bolts_7_mm_2.jpg

If they are the same just let me know if you want to go on with the check engine light bulb replacement and we will get it done;
Rick
Saturday, November 14th, 2009 AT 11:27 PM