1993 Mercury Cougar Won't Start, Hear relay click

ROMEOVILLECOUGA
  • 1993 MERCURY COUGAR
1993 Mercury Cougar 6 cyl

Yesterday when I went and started my 1993 Mercury Cougar then engine cranked slowly, but it did start.

I got home and opened up the hood and there was a lot of corrosion on the battery terminal. I cleaned that off and restarted the car and it cranked and started up as normal.

I went to work, and both times when I started the car it cranked normally and started right up.

However, after I got home and had to go out. I tried to start the car and it didn't crank at all. A friend stood by the engine when I turned the key and heard the starter relay click each time I turned the key. We tried to jump start the car, but that didn't work.

Any ideas?
Thursday, September 25th, 2008 AT 1:38 PM

Load test the battery if its good make sure its cleaned and properly tightened-No cranking could mean ignition switch/park and neutral switch/NSS-starter relay and starter itself
Thursday, September 25th, 2008 AT 2:02 PM
ROMEOVILLECOUGA
Replaced the starter relay. Didn't help, same problem.

The tow truck driver said it sounds like the starter is locked.

Tomorrow I'm going to get the battery load tested and see if that's it. If not, then it looks like it maybe the starter.
Thursday, September 25th, 2008 AT 7:29 PM