1990 Mercury Cougar WON'T START

WAYNE1183
  • 1990 MERCURY COUGAR
NEW STARTER&RELAY TURN KEY ONLY LIGHTS DIM. POWER TO&FROM RELAY GOOD, NO POWER TO STARTER? TRIED JUMPER WIRE RELAYTO STARTER SAME RESULTS?NEED TO ENGUAGE BRAKE TO START, IS THIER A SAFETY SWITCH?LOST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXY.
Friday, September 11th, 2009 AT 8:26 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model the LS or XR7 and what is the engine size in liter?

Why did you change the starter and relay?

So if I understand you correctly. When you turn the key to the start position. You get nothing, no engine turning over, no sound or movement other than your lights dimming?

If this is so, are you sure your battery is fully charged?

Next, please be careful when you do this, make sure the car is in park, emergency brake on. Take jumper cables and go right from the battery to the positive connection on the starter and see if the starter spins.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 12:48 AM
WAYNE1183
ITS AN LS3.8 STARTER WAS GOING BAD STILL SAME PROBLEM, TOOK A CHANCE ON RELAY. IF JUMPER CABLE DOSEN'T WOR K DO U THINK NETUAL SAFERTY SWITCH&IS THIER A SAFETY SWITCH ON BRAKE PED, IF SO WHAT IS IT CALLED
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 2:22 AM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info. How do you know the starter was going bad?

So I did understand you correctly. When you turn the key to the start position. You get nothing, no engine turning over, no sound or movement other than your lights dimming? Is this true

Also is your battery fully charged

Please let me know what you find out when you do the test with the jumper cables.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 9:21 PM
WAYNE1183
IT STARTED
Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 12:04 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info. That's great.I need you to be just a little more specific though on your answers.

It started with the key or - when you put the positive cable directly on the starter it started.
Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 12:12 PM