1989 Mercury Cougar starting problems

KARAE
  • 1989 MERCURY COUGAR
We are having problems with the car, we can start it and it runs fine, we shut it off and go back to start it and it wont start we have to wait at least a good hour or longer,
we have had the battery tested it good, we have replaced the alternator it good, we we just had the starter checked and it good.
what else is there that could be the problem
does this car have any other things we can check.
the car belongs to my 16 year old and she depends on it for school and work we cant have her out there at night wondering if her car is going to work or not.
any suggestions will be a great help
there is nothing it almost like the battery is dead, there nothing but I can jump it and it starts just fine
Thursday, April 8th, 2010 AT 2:42 PM

"Doesn't start" can mean a lot of different things based on the symptoms. From the parts you replaced I'm going to guess the engine intermittently doesn't crank. If you hear one kind of loud clunk when the ignition switch is turned to "crank", suspect a loose nut on one of the two large wires on the starter solenoid / relay near the battery.

Thursday, April 8th, 2010 AT 2:54 PM