1985 Mercury Cougar Sounds like it is missing.

RANDIPOLING
  • 1985 MERCURY COUGAR
1985 Mercury Cougar V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 133k miles

It seems like it is missing. It sounds like its not getting enough gas and chugs when it starts up and I drive it. I tried to give it alot of throttle then let off of it to see if tht would help, but it didnt. The engine basically seems sluggish and chugs. I have checked the spark plugs and they appear to be fine. Coule it be fuel that I put in it may have been bad? Possibly needs new spark plug wires or a filter of some sort or even a vaccum hose?
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 10:36 AM

JGAROFALO
Could be low fuel pressure, ignition problems, bad injector, or a stuck EGR valve.

Start by checking the distributor cap and rotor. Especially look for any carbon tracks between the contacts.

Next, check fuel pressure. Should be 45 to 50 psi at idle.

How is the performance? Does it lack power? If so, there is a possibility that the injectors are restricted. Your system has 2 injectors in the throttle body (looks like a carburetor). One of them may not be working.

If possible, check for trouble codes.

Post back with results. Hope this will help.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 8:02 AM