BELT

2000 Mercedes Benz ML430

kendell460

March, 12, 2009 AT 6:34 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz ML430 V8 Automatic 170000 miles

My belt in the engine broke and I put a new one on and it shredded apart. I beleive that it is missing a wheel thing that the belt runs on. I can not find what the engine is supost to look like? Is there supost to be a plastic wheel on the top (highest) wheel? Cause all I have is metal no ribbed peice like all the others?

gfimotorcars

March, 18, 2009 AT 1:26 PM

There are smooth pulleys, these are the pullys that run the back side of the belt not the ribbed side. The following is the belt routing diagram for your vehicle. Look at the diagram to determine if the pulley you are speaking about is one the should be ribbed or not (the outer pulleys should all be ribbed side in). From your description it sounds like you are speaking of the Idler pulley which should have ribbing on it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/294900_Ml430_belt_routing_2.jpg

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Air Filter Change KIA Sportage