2000 Mercedes Benz C280 hard to start

• 2000 MERCEDES BENZ C280

2000 Mercedes Benz C280 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

Car sometimes hard to start, Spark plugs new, I am planning to change fuel pump and fuel filter, Can you show me their locations pls. Or if you think it might be some other problem pls let me know.

Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 12:21 PM

Have you pulled the codes on the car at all? Not all codes read the same for MB unless you are at the dealer, but you may try going to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important. Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

Have you checked to make sure you have a good popping blue spark? If you do then it is probably fuel.

I would check the fuel pressure. I have still attached the info on the fuel filter and pump for you.

This is for the fuel filter

There is a TSB out on the filters....

TSB - Fuel System - Hard Start After Fuel Filter Replacement

Date: October 10, 2001

Order No.: P-B-47.20/17

Group: 47

Model Year 2001/ 2002 - C & CL (203), SLK (170), SL (129)**, CLK (208), E (210), CL (215) and S-Class (220)

Up to Model Year 2000 - C-Class Hard Starting After Fuel Filter Replacement

If you encounter instances of hard starting after fuel filter replacement on the subject models, the cause may be the newly installed fuel filter. On fuel filters with integrated fuel pressure regulator, part number 002 477 30 01, insufficient fuel pressure may be caused by deviations in manufacturing of the filters, resulting in an increase of crank time. Only filters with a production date between 27.06.2001 (06/27/01) and 17.07.2001 (07/17/01) may have this characteristic. PDC stock has been purged of any affected filters.

** - Not valid with M120 Engine (129.076)

The fuel filter is located underneath the vehicle, near the passenger side rear axle, and covered by and underbody protection cover.

This is for the fuel pump and there is a TSB on the pumps - I have put that first.

TSB - Fuel System - Replacement Fuel Pump Adapter Harness

Date: November 6, 2001

Order No.: P-B-47.20/20

Group: 47

Fuel Filter Assembly

For C-Class models, the fuel pump assembly, part number 203 470 13 94, has been substituted in production by a new part, 203 470 28 94.

In vehicles where an old fuel pump assembly (203 470 13 94) is replaced with the new fuel pump assembly (203 470 28 94), plate with attached harness, part number 203 470 27 41 (replacement for 203 470 02 41) needs to be installed together with the new pump assembly. Failure to install the two parts together will not allow the vehicle side of the harness to be plugged into the new fuel pump

Removing, Installing Fuel Pump

Risk of explosion due to igniting fuel, risk of poisoning due to inhaling and consuming fuel and risk of injury due to fuel coming into contact with the skin and eyes.
Fire, sparks, naked flames and smoking prohibited.
Only pour fuel into suitable and appropriately labeled containers.
Wear protective clothing when handling fuel.
1 Disconnect and connect the ground cable at the battery

NOTE: Installation:

After connecting the ground cable, read out error memory, encode radio and calibrate power window
Vehicles with stationary heater: set stationary heater clock.
2 Remove trunk cover (1)
3 Remove cover (2)
4 Ascertain as-build condition

Fuel line with banjo bolt at fuel pump.
5 Unplug connector (5)
6 Press rubber grommet (4) out of floor panel

NOTE: Installation: Check rubber grommet for damage and correct installation.

CAUTION: If damaged: replace rubber grommet.

7 Remove cover (5) of fuel pump

NOTE: Unscrew the three nuts of cover through holes (arrows).

8 Remove cable strap (6) and clip (7)
9 Unclip fuel lines (8, 9, 10)

See Special Tools below.
10 Pull fuel lines (8,9,10) off fuel pump (M3)

NOTE: Installation: Replace hose clips (11).

11 Loosen bolt(12)
12 Remove fuel pump (M3) in direction of arrow

Do not damage the insulation of the cable and plug of connector (3) when pulling through floor panel. Installation:
Check plastic sleeve (13) for damage.
If damaged: replace plastic sleeve (56a).
The plastic sleeve (13) must overlap on both sides of the bracket (14) since corrosion may occur if the fuel pump touches the bracket directly.
13 Install in reverse sequence

Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 4:21 PM