EXTENDED WARRANTY OR NOT

2004 Mercedes Benz C230

silva9091

October, 20, 2008 AT 12:13 PM

Warranty problem
2004 Mercedes Benz C230 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

I purchased a 2005 mercedes with only 22,000 miles. I purchased it from a whole sale place in Ohio, early this year, 2008. So very low miles. The car had been repaired after a fender bender. After purchasing it I had the rear right booth and shock replaced as they were leaking; then I had a leak detected in the low oil sensor area. The power mirror computer chip had to be replaced. Overall the car runs great. I have not driven it much, but it is good.
The factory warranty expires in two weeks. I can add three year of warranty for $3200 with $250 decuctable. This covers " 65% of the car or all major parts: In a general sense, am I wasting $3000.00 and should I trust the car or let my paranoia lead me to the expense?

autoevolution

October, 27, 2008 AT 8:26 AM

That is a good question, whether or not to purchase an extended warranty? Well here is the scenerio, I would try to figure out what the warranty consists of as far as that 65% goes. Like does that mean only drivetrain? Or only engine/trans? Interior components covered? From my experience they do cover most engine/trans related components but dont cover interior failures, e.I radio, window motors/regulators, hvac vent issues, sunroof, etc. I would want a clear picture of what they do and dont. Then the next part is, Is it worth the money? There is really no way of telling. Mercedes are expensive cars to have serviced, so all in all your just buying insurance so that major failures wont break the bank.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla