FAN CLUTCH PERFORMANCE AND HOW DO

1985 Mercedes Benz 380se

brucem

February, 24, 2009 AT 6:06 AM

Engine Cooling problem
1985 Mercedes Benz 380se V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

Hi, I have replaced the water pump and thermostta 3 months ago. Bearing shot, now all good. 2 weeks ago car developed overheating problem. When stationery in trafiic temp runs up to 110c, when on highway still running hot at 105 c. I have removed thermostat thinking may be flow blockage, but no difference. New fan belt on and firm. I have put a 2nd hand clutch fan on. Seems to have much stronger air flow when idling. When I rev the engine the fan locks in and drives plenty of air then cuts back out again after 2 or 3 sec when car is stationary. How do I know if the 2nd hand clutch fan is working to specification? Should the fan lock in and stay locked in or fall back to freewheeling when I rev the car in stationay position ? I am trying to understand the charatceristics of these fan clutches. New ones are very expensive like $1000. I have flushed the water system and run descaling thru it. Overheating problem still here. Ta bruce

Fan Clutch

Clutch Fan

NO ANSWER

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT