1979 MERCEDES BENZ 300SD WONT START

• Ericezy
  • 1979 Mercedes Benz 300sd

1979 Mercedes Benz 300sd 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

i am really wondering why my car will not start I took the battery to get charged at a local Orileys auto parts and it passed just fine. I reinstalled the battery and I went to go try and start the car, I got in put the key in the ignition turned it and wiated for the glow plug light to come off after that I tryed to start it but all I heard was one small click, I am thinking it may be the alternator but I really have no clue can you guys try to help me?
thank you very much

eric h-

Saturday, December 19th, 2009 AT 1:14 PM

• diesellover

The battery in top condition - excellent! The alternator doesn't affect starting. It's most likely your starter motor. More importantly, the solenoid on top of the starter motor. If the motor is bad it goes slower and slower. Not fast enough for the engine to start. If the solenoid is bad. Clicks or nothing. You can "jump" it to start the engine using a flat blade screw driver. Have someone heat the glow plugs, then turn the switch as they tell you they're doing that. You use the flat blade screw driver to connect where the battery cable connects to the starter motor to the small screw beside the cable with a low guage wire connected to it. If the solenoid is bad, this will by-pass it and as long as you keep the screw driver in place the engine will spin over to start. The obvious: Make sure all battery cable connections are tight at all locations. : )

Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 6:54 PM
  • Ericezy

Now whenever I try to turn the key to its starting position all the power to the car shuts off, the lights and everything then when I move the key from its starting possition to the regular there is power?

Friday, December 25th, 2009 AT 4:23 PM
  • diesellover

Sounds like the connection at the battery is not 100%. When the demand is strong, there's not enough connection to handle it, but low demand - no problem. After removing both cables from the battery posts, clean both the posts and the inside of the cable connectors with a wire brush battery post cleaner. I recommend using the red & green corrosion preventative felt post protectors, then put the cables back on and tighten them down. Try it - you should be clattering happily again! Tom

Saturday, December 26th, 2009 AT 7:47 PM