1986 MERCEDES BENZ 190E A/C COMPRESSOR DOES NOT ENGAGE

• frankperk
  • 1986 Mercedes Benz 190e

Air Conditioning problem
1986 Mercedes Benz 190e 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118, 00 miles

Good Evening:

My old 86 190E is a great car, but the A/C recently stopped functioning. I've serviced A/C on my 95 E Class and my 99 S320 so I attempted to add R134 w/dye to determine whether a leak was present, but to my suprise, the system was at full pressure. Apparently, there is no leak, so I am wondering how best to troubleshoot whether my problem is a bad compressor/clutch or whether my problem is a bad A/C relay. On most cars, I'd probably roll the dice and replace the relay, but the MB relay is over $200 and the compressor is ridiculous at $399, so. How can I troubleshoot the system? Is there a way to bypass the relay to activate the compressor so I can determine the source of the malfunction? I suspect the vehicle would start dragging the belt/smoking the belt if the problem is in the compressor. I suspect the bypass would activate the A/C if the problem is in the relay. Please confirm or steer me in a different direction.

THANKS!

Frank

Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 7:46 PM