'98 B3000 code P1131 and more

DOGTANK
  • 2012 MAZDA TRUCK
I have a '98 B3000 with about 106k miles and it's having a hard time starting, usually have to hit the key 2-3 times. In the last 6 months I had the wires, plugs & #2 O2 sensor replaced, not to mention replacing the fuel pump TWICE in the last 2 years.

Took it to a recommended shop for diagnostics, they recieved no readings from the O2 sensors, could not retain pressure in the fuel system after shutiing off the engine, which is supposed to hold for 5-10 minutes. Shop thought the PCM might be bad, $850.00 and a week out, NO thanks.

I got the truck back and the check engine light came on after about 30 miles, that's when I pulled the P1131 code. Which is fuel/air mixtuer code.

I called a dealer service rep and he said there might be faulty ground at wiring location X309. Where is that?

Where do I start, who's advice should I follow, if I do need a new PCM could I pull one from a junkyard or is there an aftermarket replacement?

Thanks,
DogTank
Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 7:18 PM

SERVICE WRITER
If the fuel line is not staying energized and leaking back into the tank, I would suspect the fuel pump check valve is faulty. Many aftermarket fuel pump are very questionable.
Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 7:28 PM
DOGTANK
The fuel pump is still under warrenty, but after replacing it twice in the last two years it seems as if there might be some other problem causing them to crap out? There is no rust or problem inside the tank so I'm just stumped as to waht the real problem might be, especially with all of the mechanics telling me different solutions.
Saturday, March 24th, 2007 AT 10:32 AM
SERVICE WRITER
What it an OEM pump or aftermarket, What brand?
Saturday, March 24th, 2007 AT 11:42 AM
HELLCAT18
Ask around, your friends might have a father or brother in the repair industry. They won't usually steer you wrong, especially if they're retired.
Friday, March 30th, 2007 AT 6:04 AM
SERVICE WRITER
A little paranoia?

One that is in the repair industry, does not make one intelligent.

With todays everchanging technology, you're recommending someone retired?

So if your retired your honest?

I don't see the logic.
Friday, March 30th, 2007 AT 6:08 PM
HELLCAT18
I am not retired. I have not been a mechanic and haven't been to any school for that particular subject. I am simply telling you what I have had in personal experience through myself and my father who was a mechanic for 30+ years.
Friday, March 30th, 2007 AT 7:32 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_voodoo_3.gif

And its not wahwhodoodoo
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 AT 8:33 PM