86 Mazda RX7 engine frozen?

STEWART
  • 1986 MAZDA RX7
It's an '86 Mazda RX7, about 100K miles, had an engine fire under previous ownership.I repaired the fire damage with another (passenger side) harness, and other assorted used parts. Air pump, alternator, oil lines, switches and solenoids, etc, ran fuel pump witth jumper wire at yellow test connector near air filter for about twenty seconds. It urned over a few rotations, then froze. Won't turn in either direction.
Did I miss some stupidly simple RX thing? Would engine rotate, then lock up from fire damage? Is Geaorge Bush an idiot? Inquiring minds wanna know.
I'm Stewart. My e-mail is: earldotcom@hotmail. Com.
I'm in Santa Fe New Mexico, and I'm gonna have green chile for dinner tonite.
Friday, June 15th, 2007 AT 5:27 PM

SERVICE WRITER
It urned over a few rotations?

Is Geaorge Bush an idiot?

Potato or potatoe?
Friday, June 15th, 2007 AT 9:41 PM
STEWART
Yeah,

it urned over a few rotations. Then locked up. Can't rotate it back or forward. Is this a pay site?
Saturday, June 16th, 2007 AT 5:20 PM
SERVICE WRITER
It's an optional pay site, but not political. Whether I agree or disagree with the political side, I found it amusing that you were making fun of someone by calling them an idiot, when you were having trouble spelling words, including his name.

Anyways, You may want to pull the plugs out and then try turning the motor over in the event coolant has entering the chambers. It is tougher to turn over while the compression cycle is happening, but impossible if it is hydorlically locked.
Saturday, June 16th, 2007 AT 6:47 PM
STEWART
. When you were having trouble spelling words, including his name.

Anyways, You may want to pull the plugs out and then try turning the motor over in the event coolant has entering the chambers. It is tougher to turn over while the compression cycle is happening, but impossible if it is hydorlically locked.[/Quote]. Been there, done that.

My Ex was hydorlically locked, and she wouldn't turn over either.

I'm about to pull off all the stuff I just put on. Here are my two theories:
1. The engine was broken so the previous owner set it on fire and collected the insurance; I got the car at an insurance auction- it had been recently painted, very well, and I thought it was too good to part out.

2. It's something I did, like hook up a gas line to a vacuum outlet.

I like theory #2 because: A. I've never worked on a rotary, B. I can't spell.

The reason I came to this forum was to see if there is a common mistake on RX 7's, or if they commonly lock up when damaged. And of course, to be severely abused for my spelling.

So. Friday I pulled the plugs, and rocked it in gear, but didn't blindfold it and beat it with a stick which was my inclination. Now I'll pull the manifold, and peek in the intake holes to see if I can find the lost Monet. Can a dropped bolt in the intake manifold lock up the engine? Inquiring minds wanna, etc.

Hydorlically yours,
Stewart
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 11:18 AM
SERVICE WRITER
Stewart,

Sorry for the abuse, glad you take it in stride.
Nice payback too! I might add!

I didn't find any tsb s on it, but wonder if the transmission is staying engaged.

Look up the moderator Cosmo, he is the resident Mazda pro.
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 11:49 AM
STEWART
"wonder if the transmission is staying engaged."

Look up the moderator Cosmo, he is the resident Mazda pro.[/Quote]

Thanks for the quick reply; don't you have anything important to do?

Not the tranny, wish it was. Were?

Gonna start teardown. Thanks for the help.

Stewart
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 12:15 PM
SERVICE WRITER
No I don't, I'm at work :mrgreen:
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 12:18 PM
STEWART
Took intake manifold off. Couldn't see anything Id done wrong.

Shot some ATF in the intake and spark plug holes. The car sat for months before I got it.

Now I'm gonna go light a candle, wait a few days, and see if it magically unfreezes itself.

Then I'm gonna blindfold it, and beat it to death.

Stewart
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 5:04 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Place the candle towards the center rear of the car.
Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 5:12 PM
STEWART
Took off the manifold and fuel intake, and couldn't find anything that seemed wrong in my assembly, like a fuel line hooked up to a vacuum port.

No large wrenches dropped in intakes.

Read somewhere that these engines can carbon up, so shot some lube in spark plug hole and intake ports. Then did what I do best which was to ignore it for a few days. Still completely locked.

The only clue that seems significant is: engine turned over a bit before it locked. Which direction does this rotary rotate. Is it clockwise facing it head on, (to the right when looking down from passenger compartment), or the opposite? If I try to unstick it by rotating it backward where it was before the starter turned it to its current jammed point would I be tightening the flywheel nut, or loosening it?

How hard can I yank on a breaker bar on the flywheel nut without doing non-trivial damage?

The only thing left to check, as I see it, is a jammed starter motor. Any other suggestions before I look for another (used) engine? (The car is too clean to junk, and I've never rebuilt a rotary.)

This site has spell check; what does THAT mean?

Give me a useful answer, and I'll tell you a joke.

Stewart
Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 AT 4:26 PM
SERVICE WRITER
The Bad news is:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_badnews_1.jpg

There is a TSB on Replacement engines and thier prices.

The good news is that yours isn't listed.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_happy_hog_3.jpg

See what happens when you get stuck with a moo-ron Service writer. Normally I wouldn't answer this particular question, but the sideshow reeled me in. We have some excellent guys that can probably give you better insight.

Other possible causes:

1-Large tools, but not to exclude small tools, including items resembling tools; caught in the intake manifold.

2- stuck Starter motor.

3- PM Cosmo.

"This site has spell check; what does THAT mean? "
-No, it says " this site has accepted donations,

Does this mean I disqualify fot the joke?
Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 AT 8:28 PM
COSMO
Well if you have gone this far to see if the motor is seized.I would make sure that your clutch is disengadging. Ie: someone put it in gear and then press the clutch and move the car back and forth. If it does that. Well the clutch is working.

Sorry guys I have not been on in awhile, but its race season. Www. Tiemersmamotorsports. Com

If the motor will not turn. Well thats BAD all the way round. If it won;t turn and the plugs are out and the tranny is dis-engadged. Well thats confirming the BAD thing

Sounds like an apew seal may have broken off and wedged itself between the rotor and the housing.

I will keep and eye on this thread

Cosmo
Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 AT 9:13 PM
STEWART
Thanks for joining in.

Recap: Engine fire.I got the (very nice condition car) at an insurance auction. Haven't been able to trace previous owner yet.

I rewired & etc. Did the thing with a jumper wire in the yellow connector, hit the starter, it turned over a revolution or so. Then jammed. It is absolutely stuck. Won't budge an inch with moderate torque on a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt, or rocking it in gear.

It's not the tranny. I intend to pull the starter. Then?

Would an engine fire. Not too bad. Warp something, or cause an apex seal problem?

Appreciate your input.

Don't tell this service manager any jokes, unless you tell them to me too.

Here's a blonde joke you can tell him: Blonde driving to the airport. Sign says "Airport Left." She went home.

Stewart
Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 AT 3:13 PM
STEWART
No.
Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 AT 5:49 PM
SERVICE WRITER
No.[/quote:3e764af993]

I think I like the monlogue better.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_bushcow_2.jpg

Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 AT 7:32 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Thanks for joining in O' Mazda MAster :D

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_thanksinfo_1.jpg

Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 AT 7:35 PM
STEWART
Which way engine rotate?
Sunday, July 1st, 2007 AT 11:51 AM
COSMO
Clock-wise

Honestly you should be able to turn the engine over by hand even with the plugs in the motor. You should even be able to do it with your hands on the belts. Anything more than that and there are issue's

Cosmo

Mazda TEch
Sunday, July 1st, 2007 AT 11:14 PM
STEWART
Is that clockwise sitting in the driver's seat, i. E. Towards the passenger side, or clockwise facing the engine from the front of the car looking towards the rear?

To recap. After a fire and wiring restoration, the starter motor tunde the engine a partial rotation. Then something locked.

I want to turn it "backward, " whichever way that is, with a breaker bar on the pully bolt, but can't move the engine even the slighest amount, either in gear, by rocking it, or with a breaker bar on the pully bolt, to determine which way is "backward."

In other words, the starter motor took it to this point, and I want to try to "untake it", to free the engine, before I pull it and dismantle it to see if it is in fact a broken apex seal wedged between the rotor and the housing.

My original question to this forum was in search of any arcane cause related to rotary engines about which I have little experience.

It just seemed strange to me that the car had an engine fire, and, oh yah, the engine was broken. I wanted to rule out anything I might have done in repairing the fire damage, or any cause from the fire itself (I understand that fires are somewhat common on these things).

So, before I put a giant, colossal torque on a breaker bar, on the front pully, which way does the engine turn? Am I pulling on a bar, from the passenger side, or pushing? That's as plain as I can make my question.

Stewart
Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007 AT 1:34 PM
COSMO
Turn the bolt as if your tightening it.

P.S. If you ask which way that is.I'm outta here
Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007 AT 6:23 PM