Check Engine Light

PARAINES
  • MAZDA PROTEGE
Hello. I have a 97 Mazda Protege, 156,263 miles. This morning my check engine light came on. I took it to an auto shop to get a diagnostic test. They told me that there computer connected to the engine's but it would not allow them to see the codes. He believes there to be a problem since the engine seems to be running rough, yet he said that could be a sign of a tune up. Also he just cut the light off and told me to drive and too see if it would come back on. I was just wondering should I follow what he said or go somewhere else and see if they can check the codes? Also, if the engine is running rough could this be a sign of expensive repairs to come?
Friday, February 16th, 2007 AT 2:45 PM

SERVICE WRITER
You need to find a different shop. What you described is a shop that is not up to snuff on the technology. You need to find a shop capable of troubleshooting a "communication failure to the pcm" for starters. Once that is solved and the codes cn be accessed, it can be troubleshot properly.

Maybe it will come back to tune up items, but I'm sure you keep that current. Right?
Friday, February 16th, 2007 AT 8:36 PM
COSMO
Yes, it sounds like the shop you used does not have the proper equipment for diag this car. OBD II generic system diagnostic tools can get a bit tritchy with the older models ie: sometimes a Windows XP program doesn't run too good on a Windows 98 system.

Even at my MAZDA dealer we hve some trouble using the most 'up to date' equipment on the old vehicles. It usually means we have to go get someof the old stuff out of the tool room. I would go get it tested at your local Mazda dealer. If not, post what code you find before going ahead with work. There are alot of 'Phantom" codes from those years. Eg. Codes for fuel trim malfunctions. People will have there 02 sensor replaced, but its really some rust in the fuel pulse dampner. STUFF like that.

With the older cars it is sometimes better to go to the dealer

Cosmo. Mazda TEch
Saturday, February 17th, 2007 AT 7:38 AM